Savage over/under problem

Kowtown

I've got a Savage over/under shotgun that has locked up and I can't seem to get it open without breaking it. I figured one of you might have an answer or a good gunsmith near Moultrie or Thomasville.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help/

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Call Whidden in Nashville to see if they can look at it or recommend someone. or McWorter in Doerun

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I had an SKB/Ithaca 500 lock up one time. A light rap on the lever with a rubber mallet opened it. I lightly greased the slide lug with Weapon Shield grease and it has not happened again.
I have read that sometimes for some unknown reason that a hard close will bind some O/Us.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My Beretta S5?B is hard to open. The cocking levers don’t draw the firing pins in fast enough and the lower pin has cut a grove in the barrel bottom

specialk

is there a shell in it?....does the lever move at all?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get it open by bashing on it and if that doesnt work I"ll try McWorter in Doerun.
I'll report back with results.

:clap:
Yep. It would be pretty humbling to take it to a smith only to have him rap it with a rubber mallet, put a little oil on it, and hand you a bill for a bench fee. LOL

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Yep. It would be pretty humbling to take it to a smith only to have him rap it with a rubber mallet, put a little oil on it, and hand you a bill for a bench fee. LOL
Esp for a mossberg lol

Kowtown

Yesterday I couldn't even spell gunsmith, but today I are one.
I used some of my gunsmithing skills to get the old Savage open.
I bashed on the release lever with a leather mallet and it came right open.
Apparently it has no love for corroded shells.
Thanks to all who offered helpful suggestions, and to those who didn't.::ke:

37234673_1.jpg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yesterday I couldn't even spell gunsmith, but today I are one.
I used some of my gunsmithing skills to get the old Savage open.
I bashed on the release lever with a leather mallet and it came right open.
Apparently it has no love for corroded shells.
Thanks to all who offered helpful suggestions, and to those who didn't.::ke:

View attachment 1274211
Have u tried hitting it with a leather mallet at the action ?
Bet old corroded shells.

bighonkinjeep

Old Man and the Hammer Proverb: From Elsewhere:
The Graybeard engineer retired and a few weeks later the Big Machine broke down, which was essential to the company’s revenue.
The Manager couldn’t get the machine to work again so the company called in Graybeard as an independent consultant.
Graybeard agrees. He walks into the factory, takes a look at the Big Machine, grabs a sledge hammer, and whacks the machine once whereupon the machine starts right up.
Graybeard leaves and the company is making money again.
The next day Manager receives a bill from Graybeard for $5,000.
Manager is furious at the price and refuses to pay.
Graybeard assures him that it’s a fair price.
Manager retorts that if it’s a fair price Graybeard won’t mind itemizing the bill.
Graybeard agrees that this is a fair request and complies.
The new, itemized bill reads….
Hammer: $5Knowing where to hit the machine with hammer: $4995

Last edited:

tr21

like I always say if it don't work ! GET A BIGGER HAMMER, until it does ! :hammers::hammers::hammers:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, the only reason you have to use a mallet on a shotgun action is that there is no cord to unplug and re-plug.