Owl knocked a poult out of the tree

DRBugman85

IMG950496-1.jpg[/attach] Mother nature at its best.While deer hunting my buddy had this happen in front of the stand and got him on his I phone. The tuff life of the wild TURKEY

herb mcclure

Owl knock poult out of tree

DRBugum85, thanks for in lighting others about what a toll the owls and hawks take of the wild turkeys. Everyone assumes that the coyotes and some other four legged critters are the turkeys wrest predator.
Not so, in my times spent in the turkey world. I have always said hawks; are turkeys number one-predator; due two their number being greater than the owls. From day one thru adult hood, hawks take more turkeys than all the others. Even large grown turkeys, just like large grown chickens where taken in days gone-by; are kill by owls and hawks.

I have actually had a hawk light in a tree after spotting a decoy and peer down at the large hen decoy with feathers on her. Then after a few minutes dive-bomb her and pull the decoy to the grown like owl in photo. Some how a load of 71/2 put a stop to all that.
herb mccllure

Anvil Head

And people wonder why crows hate hawks and owls. That thump in the wee hours has to make you flinchy.

Hawks, Owls, and Turkeys have gotten along in our woods ever since the good Lord put them there. I was not around when my forefathers roamed this land, but in the 67 years I have been here I have seen the populations of deer and turkey increase to the point of overcrowding which brings on disease and mass die-offs. Deer more so than Turkey, but one has to admit we see way more turkey in the woods and fields than ever before. Coyotes, cats and dogs (domestic & ferral) are intrusive and add to the body count on all native game species. Of course "Man" had nothing to do with any of this.

Really disappointed that a sportsman would brag about "dusting" a hawk or owl, ever.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
From reports I've seen regarding owl predation on turkeys, all that is eaten is the head.

herb mcclure

Yes, man has HAD,---just about everything to do with having deer and turkeys in our fields and woods, and also causing there not to be hardly any deer or turkeys at all; in days gone by; in most places. That don't change my knowledge, when I see a photo of turkeys killed by an falconry species, which I have observed happening many many, times, especially with wild turkeys at my home place; where they live year around for over twenty years.

A four legged predator can do much harm to deer, but they don't stand much chance at real wild turkeys; once they can fly up into trees. That's were owls and hawks have their advantage up in the trees.
herb mcclure

NUTT

I'll admit I don't see as many turkeys as before. Matter of fact way less than before. Back in the early to mid 90's I would agree with that statement.
"Deer more so than Turkey, but one has to admit we see way more turkey in the woods and fields than ever before."

DRBugman85

Owls have to eat too (OWLS LIFE'S MATTER)It's got to be a tuff life living in the wild woods of America. BUT that's a cool picture and what surprised me was he said the trees were full of turkeys and the flapping and flying turkeys got his adrenaline pumping he never heard a sound till Mr Owl knock out the poult then all chaos broke out . We've pretty much eliminated the coyotes on our land that we lease. I've got a license to Kill:shoot:

Anvil Head

>>A four legged predator can do much harm to deer, but they don't stand much chance at real wild turkeys; once they can fly up into trees. That's were owls and hawks have their advantage up in the trees.<<
While I cannot argue about the tree roosting birds, turkey are hatched and live on the ground for more than a few minutes of their life. I have found nesting areas where some 4-legged predator left the remains of 5-6 hatchlings in one spot. That's a 5:1 ratio in one instant, it's not a "rare" thing. I have also seen yotes take young poults that are just learning to fly and roost. Having spent most of my life in the woods, some of time doing things I really shouldn't have done and prefer not to do now, I have witnessed a lot of incidents called "life". The animals are there and the balance will always be sought out ..... the way it was designed.

I think the pics are great, just shows what goes on in the real world.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Owls fly on silent wings. The picture is just Nature at work and how it`s made to operate. We need to try to fit in as best we can, and keep our damage at a minimum to keep the balance.

herb mcclure

As a student of the wild turkey and trying to learn all I could about them; I have kept wild turkeys off and on, where ever I have lived. This included studying their predators too.

A few Springs ago a wild hen brought her brood of nine fuzzy poults into my yard and proceeded to try to raise them there. One by one, until they all were gone, I witness the hawks, or a same hawk taking some of them, and in other Springs I have had hawks toting off feathered-out poults. One time a large horn-owl was the culprit holding a young gobbler on the ground; until I wave my arms and scared it off. Believe it or not, the young gobbler survived the attach.

That great phone-photo, brought-back memories. Yes I too, have spent much of my life in the woods and witness much. Not being able to hear, has cause me to hunt turkeys; different than most. Sitting-still and just watching, is my style. Four turkeys once, scathing out in front of me, unaware I was there, suddenly flew up into a low dogwood tree. That's when two coyotes came running in; the turkeys just peered- down at them feeling safe, until a load of 71/2; let the turkeys live another day.

I have even caught a bobcat in a steel trap up in a tree, which was taking young turkeys from their roost limb. They are more cunning than the coyotes will ever be.

When wildlife was created, most predators were given abilities to catch and harm; lots of other wildlife. But, the wild turkeys, they were given long legs, strong wings, good hearing and great eyes along with a brain too.
Like Timber 1 says, that's part of the equation that makes wild turkeys so challenging and fun to hunt.

Does anyone ever wounder, why a gobbler will gobble to a an owl-calling; better than other sounds; day or night?
herb mcclure

KentuckyHeadhunter

Unfortunately, like you said about invasive species, I heard more turkeys gobble and get flustered this year at Canadian geese. They are taking over. At least they don't eat them or predate them but they certainly contend for eating rights. I heard they taste bad though. Go figure.

DRBugman85

Coons,fox,bobcats, Hawks,Owls,snakes,coyotes all eat turkeys from eggs to Adult That's just mother natures circle of LIFE in the wild.Then the human factor mixed in, it's got to be a tuff life.::gone:::gone:

saltysenior

As a prank a land owner stocked 6 pheasants 2 days before a quail hunt was to be held .....during the hunt 5 pheasants were found with just their brains eaten....