Panama city advice?

JHannah92

Going to be down there July 4th week with the family. Daughter and wife will be busy with a dance competition so my son (7yo) and me gonna be on our own a good bit. I wanna take him fishing but don't wanna spend a lot on an inshore charter or anything. Thought about a deep sea party boat but I just went on one last weekend and didn't catch much at all. What is our best bet to catch some fish? Really don't care what but I'd like for him to catch something.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
What about surf fishing? Being on the beach would allow him to occupy some time playing in the sand when nothing is biting. And it's cheaper than a charter. That's what my 8 year old and I do, bring some shovels, sandcastle buckets, a cooler, and a football, he doesn't want to leave

slow motion

Haven't been to PC in several years but should still hold true. Surf fishing is tough there because of the crowds. I'd try one of the piers. As I remember it admission covers any license to fish for the day. My boys used to love using a sabiki rig and catching bait. Became a competition to see who could get one on all 6 hooks. Don't overlook the pier in the state park it's shorter though and you'll need a license there.There's also the jetties in the park as well. If you only want to get the little man some action there's a small pier on the bay in the park beside the boat ramp. Lots of pinfish but not much else. Good luck to you both.

lampern

City and County piers are very nice.

I'd just fish there, crowded or not.

They are some of the biggest, nicest piers you will find anywhere.

Waddams

Piers. Beaches too crowded. We used to have good luck going out on the Treasure Island or Jubilee Party Boats - at the right time of year. It was always slow in the summer when it's hot on the water, but in the fall when it was cooler we'd get better results. Although it only takes one good fish to make it a great day. I think I caught about a 4 ft long bull mahi on a hot summer day? Memory is hazy, I might be mis-remembering when, but was slow, slow, then reeled in that monster and was ready to spend the rest of the ride emptying the beer cans in the cooler we had.

I've wondered too on the charter boats if I could find a trip where the people and captn would be willing to do a mixed trip group where the mixed group could split the cost even we didn't know each other before the trip. Wouldn't necessarily be that much more than the party boats these days and might be better fishing.

Another thought - my wife and I went kayak fishing with the son of a few friends while visiting them in Jacksonville last July. We ended up catching some good stuff - nice sized flounder and red fish. It was pretty cool. Between the 'yaking and then the fishing, I had a great time. It will be a repeated trip one day!

hrstille

Fish the jetties at the inlet. Lots of smaller grouper, muttons & lanes hang around the jetties.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
If you just want action, go to either of the piers and let him throw a one of the larger feathered sabiki rigs. He’ll catch plenty of hard tails. You could also use a Gotcha plug or bubble rig and add Spanish and lady fish to the mix.

JHannah92

Thanks for the ideas. I'm sure we'll try the state park at least once. We always stay on that end anyway (Thomas Dr), I try to avoid front beach road at all costs especially during a holiday weekend.

Tight Lines

Go to the piers, especially evening at sunset and at night. Can be quite good and not too crowded.

If you want a charter, I would book the smaller bay boats or inshore boats and do something local...vs. the party boats.

Best of luck...

Tight Lines

Thanks for the ideas. I'm sure we'll try the state park at least once. We always stay on that end anyway (Thomas Dr), I try to avoid front beach road at all costs especially during a holiday weekend.
If you can, take a mask and snorkel and snorkel the jetty in the state park...always one of our favorites...

Deerhead

I went out on a party boat and caught a few fish. I think it was Captain Anderson's. See if you can pre-purchase your tickets. I am sure they will be sold out if you wait until you are there.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
No way! That's outstanding! I assume he was outside the jetty, we only snorkel inside the jetty due to the currents...
Back in the 80's when we did it, but if you can catch the slack waters it's a real nice dive... provided you don't get hooked that is.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We are scuba certified but normally dive out much further...
I was International Dive Educators Asso. certified dive instructer back then. Usually when we had a day between boat dives and couldn't go too deep, we would try to time the tide and dive the jetties or drive over to the springs just for fun and have something to do.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
No way! That's outstanding! I assume he was outside the jetty, we only snorkel inside the jetty due to the currents...

I was anchored on the west side of the west jetty (beach side) 100' off the rocks fishing back towards them.
Watched the dude suit up on the beach and go in the water.
No flag, I watched his bubbles as he came out.
He swam into my line and it snagged on his harness.