PB&J Debate

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
And no napkin

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Crazy thing that I can't explain when I was little. I liked PB&J on bread just after it had come out of the freezer and was still a little frozen. Wouldn't do it now but liked it back then for some reason. Kids are weird and I was too.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

little rascal

In elementary school we had that sweet dark pnut butter. And it was best dunked in vegetable soup. Still do that today except with regular pnut butter. However thanks to the VA, I got more jars of sweet pnut butter than I know what to do with. Bro in law runs a girls camp up in North GA. They have a huge mess hall. One Christmas he gave me a 10lb can of that dark school pnut butter.

DynamicDennis

First, the peanut butter must be of the crunchy variety or else we can’t be friends. Grape jelly is best, although I will tolerate strawberry. And I’ll accept toasted bread, although in my humble opinion the ultimate pbj has been made and stored in the fridge just long enough to get a nice chill. As far as mixing the two beforehand… I’ve never tried it but I’ll do so next time and report back. Hope this helps.
I agree with the chilled part. I eat one almost every day for lunch!!! Choosy moms choose JIFF, smooth and creamy. With strawberry preserves. Although, PB and honey is pretty good too out of the fridge. The honey gets a little crispy

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In elementary school we had that sweet dark pnut butter. And it was best dunked in vegetable soup. Still do that today except with regular pnut butter. However thanks to the VA, I got more jars of sweet pnut butter than I know what to do with. Bro in law runs a girls camp up in North GA. They have a huge mess hall. One Christmas he gave me a 10lb can of that dark school pnut butter.
That stuff was nasty.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can remember though, when I was a kid, mom would get a half-gallon jar of that Big Chief "Heap Good" peanut butter, and there would be a half-inch or more oil on top that you'd have to stir into it. Peanut butter pretty dry now since they figured out they could sell peanut oil for $25 a gallon.

pb2.jpg

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I can remember though, when I was a kid, mom would get a half-gallon jar of that Big Chief "Heap Good" peanut butter, and there would be a half-inch or more oil on top that you's have to stir into it. Peanut butter pretty dry now since they figured out they could sell peanut oil for $25 a gallon.

View attachment 1304622
I remember that! Especially the top being an inch deep in oil. :rofl:

There was a nickname for this stuff. I can't remember. Probably couldn't say it on here anyway. :bounce:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I can remember though, when I was a kid, mom would get a half-gallon jar of that Big Chief "Heap Good" peanut butter, and there would be a half-inch or more oil on top that you'd have to stir into it. Peanut butter pretty dry now since they figured out they could sell peanut oil for $25 a gallon.

View attachment 1304622

I remember that peanut butter. Kinda reminds me of Smuckers natural peanut butter.

slow motion

Wow 5 pages of mostly wrong ways to make something so simple. White bread only. Toasted? No. That's like having to eat the bread that sat on the counter too long and dried out. I love crunchy peanut butter but it don't spread good, simple physics. Mayo? Goodness. That's a PBM with the M standing for disgusting. May as well put mustard in there too. And NO MIXING. Acceptable jelly is grape. This includes muscadine but not jelly from white grapes, That's just wrong. BTW it's a peanut butter and jelly, not jam or preserves. Served with an ice cold glass of milk.

Side note @NCHillbilly Nanner sandwich is delicious with mayo OR peanut butter NOT both. @Nicodemus didn't know you could make jelly from beauty berries. Might have to try that though I can't really eat much jelly these days.

Kdog

Why did I waste so much time reading this?

All of my kids love the uncrustables frozen. Saw someone mentioned them on a flat top and those are great since my favorite is a grilled PB&J. Think I only had one jar of Goober Grape in my life and don't think I ate all of it (nasty stuff, but cheep). Also used to eat the banana PB and mayo sammies with plain lays on them.

Shadow11

For a quickie to take to work, I just do the non crunchy peanut butter on untoasted bread, and jelly one the other.

Not a sandwich.... But, if I'm doing a breakfast type thing, it's buttered toast and a pile of peanut butter and jelly mixed together to dip the toast in, and a tall glass of cold milk is a must. So good!

cowhornedspike

Love me some PB&J and most of the posts above sound good and I may try some of those.
BUT one of the best uses for PB I have found is spread on a hot Pizza!!! Don't laugh until you have tried it.