Penn Senator Upgrades?

Reid D

I’m thinking about getting 2 Penn Senator 14/0 not the really old ones but the ones they were making around 2012 and I was wandering if there needed to be any drag changes or any other upgrades. I’m to be using it for land based shark fishing.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Just make sure the drags work as they should, and use them.

Star should turn and tighten smoothly, if sticky replace the washers.

Robust Redhorse

The 14/0 Senators are serious reels and probably can't be beat for land-based shark fishing for big sharks.

Railroader knows what he is talking about. Make sure the drag is smooth and replace the washers if the drag is not smooth.

Spool them with #80-100 mono. No need to spend a fortune on braid or even "premium" mono. Mono takes the abrasion from the beach much better than braid.

I like shorter "stand-up" rods and use a stand-up harness, but I don't have access to a chair.

If you have a way to sit down (pick-up bed, trailer, etc. with some type of fighting chair) you would be better-off and can use longer, trolling rods.

A 14/0 is a beast to handle.

Large lever drag trolling reels, like Penn Internationals and Shimano Tiagras are higher quality reels with drags that are usually smoother, but they don't handle the grit and grime of land-based shark fishing as well.

Senators are easy to take apart, clean out and work on.
(They can take a lickin' and keep on tickin')

kingfish

Had a 14/0 back in the day and traded it straight up for a 12/0. Just too bulky for me. The coolest thing about the 14's (other than holding 1.2 million yds of line) is when that deep sounding clicker goes off, there is no mistake it's yours.