Persimmon

Jim Boyd

Wow!

I will go check the ones around here.

Soon as they get going well, I am going to try (again) to graft some scions and get some decent female trees going on our place.

Good luck.

arrendale8105

Rode both properties today and most of them are putting out. Including the ones I attempted to graft. I guess we will see in the next few weeks

Attachments

• IMG_5868.png
    IMG_5868.png
    948.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5867.png
    IMG_5867.png
    931.7 KB · Views: 7

Coop

I had to drive down to Tampa last fall for bidness and stopped at their nursery in Alachua to buy some of those ‘simmon trees. Driving their road, I passed several mature trees that were so loaded with persimmons the limbs were bent to the ground.
The kind folks at the nursery impressed upon me the importance of wire cages around their young trees. Makes sense, as I lost a couple of the Dunstan chestnuts last spring when my deer chomped all the green down to nothing. They never recovered….
Persimmons sometimes seem to make in years when the pears, plums and apples get frostbite. A 26 deg morning when the trees are setting fruit has not helped the last 2 years.
I kept these in my shaded front yard where I could keep them wet until moving to the Ponderosa for planting in early December. Here they are before planting, going down this week to check status.
Good luck with yours, keep us posted on their progress - looks like nature may cooperate this year (knocking on wood).

Attachments

• E6B9EF39-343F-48C7-BBA5-DF0B4B2E1713.jpeg
    E6B9EF39-343F-48C7-BBA5-DF0B4B2E1713.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 20

Jim Boyd

I had to drive down to Tampa last fall for bidness and stopped at their nursery in Alachua to buy some of those ‘simmon trees. Driving their road, I passed several mature trees that were so loaded with persimmons the limbs were bent to the ground.
The kind folks at the nursery impressed upon me the importance of wire cages around their young trees. Makes sense, as I lost a couple of the Dunstan chestnuts last spring when my deer chomped all the green down to nothing. They never recovered….
Persimmons sometimes seem to make in years when the pears, plums and apples get frostbite. A 26 deg morning when the trees are setting fruit has not helped the last 2 years.
I kept these in my shaded front yard where I could keep them wet until moving to the Ponderosa for planting in early December. Here they are before planting, going down this week to check status.
Good luck with yours, keep us posted on their progress - looks like nature may cooperate this year (knocking on wood).

Nice work right there!!!!!!

Are those known females?

Jim Boyd

First persimmon putting out. This is one of the deer candy persimmons from chestnut hill nursery.

I checked 20 or so persimmon trees this past Sunday and they are still dormant.

arrendale8105

They’re all leafing out now but the grafts aren’t yet. Couldn’t stand it so scratched one and it was still green inside so maybe there’s still a chance.

Attachments

• IMG_5967.png
    IMG_5967.png
    636.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5968.png
    IMG_5968.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5965.png
    IMG_5965.png
    997.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5966.png
    IMG_5966.png