Pic from Eastern Montana...

Sharptop

My Drahthaar, Jude, and a brace of Hungarian Partridge and my Merkel 47E 20 gauge.

of=50,590,442

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2...?*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPPe|Rup6lQQ|/of=50,590,442

Attachments

• Montana 2006 003 (640 x 480).jpg
    Montana 2006 003 (640 x 480).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

rip18

Nice birds, dog, & gun! Thanks for sharing. Tell us more about your trip!

Sharptop

Montana trip

I've hunted Montana for the past 14 years or so. Middle of the state over to the northeast corner. I go during opening week of pheasant season usually, but you can go later and avoid numbers of hunters in the more heavily hunted areas. Only problem is the weather. It is usually nice opening week, but the last two years have been wet. This year we had sideways rain the first day and 25-40 mph gusts on a couple of days.

We anticipated a banner year for pheasants, but they were really down in the main area we hunt, but there are a good number of sharptails around and we opted to spend our time after them. We hunt a big private ranch, but there is a lot of block management land around, some not hunted much.

Below is a pic of sharptail country. They like the bushes for the berries, shade and shelter. We ran across more pheasants in the bushes this year than normal, got a couple of doubles on pheasants.

I used the 20 gauge with 3 inch 6's and regular high brass 6's, all you need with pointing dogs for pheasant and almost overkill for grouse. The only time I feel like I need a 12 is late season wild flushing birds.

I get worn out hunting for a week out there, we hike 10 miles a day sometimes, but after a couple days back home, I'm ready to go again. Too bad its a long two day drive. We left at 4:00A.M. and stopped for the night in Mitchell, SD.

Attachments

• Montana 2006 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    Montana 2006 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 199

rip18

Thanks for the details!! Sounds like a great trip! Sure is pretty country out that way.

MossyOak

Nice looking Drahthaar

Beautiful country out there....
I am happy for you..
If you know of anyone selling a started female Drahthaar
Please let me know..

Mossy:shoot: