Picked up my STI Ranger II 1911 from John Harrison

cmshoot

Can't find my original post, so I'm starting a new one.

Here's the list of work done to my stock STI Ranger II:

Replace rear sight with HD Extreme Service rear in plain black, replace front with tritium sight

Face of barrel flush with slide and recrown with recessed crown

HD Extreme Service ignition set with Commander hammer, Duty/Carry trigger job

Fit ambidextrous thumb safety of my own design/configuration.

Fit 10-8 slide stop, countersink slide stop pin hole and recess pin

Machine frame for EGW mag well, heli arc on, dress out and blend to frame and grips. Shorten grips to match magwell

Legacy Custom MaxRamp MSH, scallop to match chainlink pattern on front strap

Serrate rear of slide, extractor & ejector 50lpi to match rear sight

HD Extreme Service oversize firing pin stop

Narrow front of slide for Hi Power cuts

HD Carry groove grips, black G-10

HD Extreme Service extended mag catch

Refinish all in matte IonBond DLC

I used an Ed Brown ambidextrous thumb safety. I slimmed the left side safety back slightly, then cut the right side safety back to nearly USGI style. This gives me enough to use in an emergency, but it's small enough that it's out of the way. I really like the way it turned out.......I like the way the entire pistol turned out! John is truly an artisan.

The tenth picture down shows how the OAL of the STI grip frame is the same length with the welded-on magwell as a standard 1911 without a magwell. For comparison is my SAI TRP that John also did.

The final pic is my rig, built by Ryan Grizzle of R. Grizzle Leather. Black leather with sharkskin trim.

FlipKing

Looks great CM! I'm sure you will enjoy that!

ScottD

very nice!

I am not sure if a custom 1911 is a weapon or a piece of art. i have many custom rifles that I consider to be just "tools".

but with a custom 1911 it is hard to describe the feeling - a perfect assembly of beauty and function.

It is a treasure.

cmshoot

Took her to the range today for a 300rd workout. BORING!!!!

Shot a mix of factory 230grn FMJ, 230grn FMJ handloads, 185grn FMJ-HB handloads and Speer Gold LE 230grn HP's.

Fed and functioned perfectly. Slide always locked back when it was supposed to, dropped when I told it to. Mags slid right in and dropped free easily. All rounds went smack dead center. 8rd groups were a single, ragged hole.

The trigger was smooth and crisp, no overtravel, reset just took a subconscious thought. It routinely made holes in paper where I wanted them and made steel jump and ring.

Didn't have to TAP-RACK, clear a stoppage or malfunction, wrestle with a magazine, etc.

BORING!

I wish all guns were this boring......

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
For one ragged hole how far away was the target? Here is my 25 yd. target.

gt40

Attachments

• 25 yd. target .jpg
    25 yd. target .jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 285

cmshoot

15 yards offhand was a ragged hole.

25yds offhand with GDHP was a group smaller than a Copenhagen can.

Last edited:

Joe_Atlanta

Beautiful. Great base gun for a build and I really like your choice of mods. John is not only a great smith, but also a genuinely nice guy, a pleasure to deal with. I've got an old Combat Commander that he rebuilt and slicked up many years ago, it runs and runs, never a hiccup.