Planning a Trip to the Grand Canyon.

660griz

Jerome and Sedona are pretty cool places to visit. About 2 hours from the canyon. If you are not going into the canyon, looking at it will not take you long. Not sure about that time of year though. When I lived in Phoenix, we would drive up to Flagstaff to see snow. I would get a 4 wheel drive or at the least, a front wheel drive. Gonna be a little chilly.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You might want to check out the temperatures in December. I don't think a convertible will be the way to go. Elevation is high enough it gets pretty chilly and there could be snow a few places.

Hoss

yeah, I just looked. the average daytime high in December is in the 50's. lows in the 20s... might want to rethink that convertible deal

Dean

It maybe more than a drive you wish to take, but as other posted, if you want you can feasibly see the Grand Canyon in a full day, at least one Rim section. It's about a 3 hour one way drive but in my opinion worth the drive to the slot canyons - Antelope Canyon, take a look at Horseshoe bend and drop down for a quick look at Lake Powell. Take a tour inside one of the Antelope slot canyons, very cool experience and the Sun light does some unique things to the color down there.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Monument valley is not quite as WOW as the Grand Canyon but it should not be missed. Especially the place near Mexican Hat Utah where you can drive a 25 mile loop on a dirt road.
That area is where so many of the old westerns were filmed. One really popular spot is the place where Forest Gump stopped running.

huntfish

You must also include Antelope Canyon just north of the Canyon in Page AZ. You can also see Horseshoe Bend and Marble Canyon in the same trip. Easily a day trip to see all.

Attachments

• IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4097.JPG
    IMG_4097.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 12

huntfish

Also, since you are on your own, leave the canyon just before sunset and drive east towards the park exit. Seeing the rocks change colors due to the sunset is awesome but then again, the canyon will leave you breathless. You definitely need to just sit down and watch the canyon change during both a sunrise and sunset.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we are thinking about staying at Marble Canyon one night.

How far of a drive is it from Williams Az to the canyon, considering the bus traffic? I would like to see a sunrise at the canyon.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I was wondering about putting a camera on the dash and recording the drive out and back. I have no experience with a dash camera, but I would like to get some really good video if possible. Something that stores on an SD card would be good, and I would like to be able to pull still shot off it if possible

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It’s open road after you get away from Williams up until you get to Tusyan Probably 1.5 hours to get into the park. I don’t know about the park gates hours. Best find out.

The east end overlooks you can drive to. The west end you have to take the shuttle.

I take it the accommodations inside the park are booked for your dates??

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
any hotel you would suggest there?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
any hotel you would suggest there?

We stayed at the Yavapai resort last year. It is about 3/4 mile away from the rim. It was okay.
I remember looking at those on the rim and thinking the the El Tovar would be a good choice. Be aware all those on the rim are historic buildings not ultra modern.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Dylan wants to get on that skybridge. I don't think that is for me, and I know for sure my wife won't get on it. lol

Be aware that attraction is nowhere near GC National Park. It is west of the park towards the west end.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We stayed at the Yavapai resort last year. It is about 3/4 mile away from the rim. It was okay.
I remember looking at those on the rim and thinking the the El Tovar would be a good choice. Be aware all those on the rim are historic buildings not ultra modern.

even the Yavapai comments to their page says they can't do microwaves in the rooms because they don't have the power to do that. Makes you kinda wonder... and then people talk about no wifi except in the office building, and that is real spotty service. Sounds like I might be better off in Williams, and then just leave early enough to drive in for the sunrise.

NOYDB

BANNED
Dress for freezing cold at night and sweaty hot days. Places you have mentioned get very hot midday and below freezing at night. Layers and shells. Also be prepared for windy conditions.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sunsets are more beautiful than sunrise to me. But I know tons of folks would be getting on the shuttle buses way before dawn to get to their favorite overlook. Some folks seem to sit all day and snap pictures as the light changes. The pic attached is in the late afternoon with a thunderstorm in the distance and

Yavupai has a WiFi hotspot area at the main lodge/restaurant. I thought they have some units with full kitchens.

You can ride a train from Williams right up to within about 200 yards of the rim.

See if you can download a brochure with the maps and shuttle stops etc. it will help you understand the place better.

Also lots of elk living in the park.

Attachments

• F2B0023E-E853-426D-9901-5319D8675F9C.jpeg
    F2B0023E-E853-426D-9901-5319D8675F9C.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 5ED35B9A-2911-4612-A4D9-3B84B576804B.jpeg
    5ED35B9A-2911-4612-A4D9-3B84B576804B.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Old Crusty

As others have said, this time of the year at the grand Canyon will be cold. We were out there in May and it was 102* at Hoover Dam and 41* at the GC even though they are only a few hours apart. The elevation change made all the difference. Expect it to be cold and windy. I would also recommend the Page area, the slot canyons(Upper and Lower Antelope) were a highlight for us.

95g atl

I was there as a kid. IT was awesome.
Four days might not be enough. You may be rushed a little.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
So what did y’all decide to do?