Planting options?

RLykens

I plan on planting a couple of my spots this year in jap millet if the water will go down and I can actually get seed to soul contact. But as a back up what should I plant if the water stays about knee to thigh deep? (its normal level for hunting) one spot is in a very sunny location and I'd like to plant about 3 acres and the other is pretty shady with a slight current.

across the river

If you have no control over the water level, it is extremely tough. There is nothing that you are going to be able to just sow in water 2 -3 foot deep water and get anything to produce. If you want something to grow in standing water, you have to establish an aquatic plant, which can create it's own set of problems if you fix the pond or use it for some other form of recreation. However, if the place does dry out on most years, then the aquatic weeds typically aren't going to be able to survive the dry years and you are back to square one. It is tough to manage a place that is solely dependent on mother nature in terms of water levels.

rnelson5

I thought corn would do good in the water, but the birds always eat it all before it can grow....

::gone:

kevbo3333

I would suggest putting duck weed in the pond and let it take over if and only if you don't mind having a pond full of green floating vegetation. It will ruin fishing if it gets to thick so if you choose to go that route do your homework first.

RLykens

Yea this place is so let for ducks nothing else. Its shin to waist deep depending on where you are and it gets full sun.

Gaducker

Yea this place is so let for ducks nothing else. Its shin to waist deep depending on where you are and it gets full sun.

If its only for ducks then you need a water control device.

RLykens

I know I wish that were an option. Not my land though sadly. I just have permission to hunt it.