Planting trees for deer property

Im planning on planting trees to create woods on our property outside broxton in south georgia in the next couple years so im starting to do some research.
What trees would ya'll recommend i plant ? The area i want to wood in is 11 acres and i plan on planting about 8 of it to leave room for a big food plot. Would also like to plant about an acre of fruit trees so that leaves 7 acres of trees to plant. What do ya'll think the overall cost would be for such a project ? Considering white oak and pine.
Thanks
Kyle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 8.47.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 8.47.40 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67

sportsman94

If you want the property to be used for deer hunting, I would think it through and set it up specifically for it. Make it where the bucks have to come by strategic locations to check doe groups. The corner of the pond looks like a good example. Provide cover filled corridors (old field, plum thickets, dwarf trees, native grass etc) so the bucks feel safe to move during daylight hours. I would take your field and fruit trees and put them together, and then provide cover through annual plantings or shrubs throughout the field so the deer feel safer coming into it during daylight. You could also split the field into two pretty close to each other and create a cover pinch point between the two. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project. Sorry I can’t help with cost, but Missouri forestry commission is a great place to get cheap trees

roscoe54

If you decide on pines Ga Forestry has a list of vendors who will plant the trees. Also they help with cost. Call there local office in your area.

treemanjohn

Banned
Do you own this property?

The cost is going to be pretty big and you're looking at 25-40 years maturation on your trees. The only way of slightly speeding this process up is to buy large tree stock which is expensive

Hazelnut trees/bushes grow pretty quick tha throw a lot of mast for critters

sportsman94

Do you own this property?

The cost is going to be pretty big and you're looking at 25-40 years maturation on your trees. The only way of slightly speeding this process up is to buy large tree stock which is expensive

Hazelnut trees/bushes grow pretty quick tha throw a lot of mast for critters

Have you grown any of these? Ive been curious about them for a long time. Any pictures of how they do around here, how long it takes to produce mast, how the animals use it?

Gut_Pile

Is that two different ponds with a dam going through the middle?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
The type of hunting you do can make a difference on tree selection as well. A good many people don’t care for sawtooths since they’re non native, which is understandable. They will be some of the fastest to produce though, along with chestnuts. I love a good white oak and deer do as well, but you’re looking at 20 years or so before they start producing. If you bow hunt, sawtooths and fruit trees are a good choice. Kiefer Pear, crab apple and persimmon are hard to beat. I don’t care for pines, my area is super saturated with them, but they do provide excellent cover particularly when they are young. If you only rifle hunt I’d stick with the oaks. With a good food plot you will have a deer oasis in later years. Also on your spacing, decide if you want a couple of big trees or more trees with a smaller crown. Woods versus orchard.
Georgia Forestry is a great place to buy seedlings, just be sure to order early.
Good luck.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ll add that if you plant chestnut or pear trees be sure to cage them, bucks will absolutely destroy them when they start rubbing.

b8hickman

Well pine trees will grow fairly quickly but won't provide much for wildlife besides good cover.I would probably plant those on the edges to provide screening and travel corridors. I would be real tempted to have one or two smaller kill plots and and one big food plot that is at least 5acres to provide plenty of food to hold deer and possibly plant soybeans. Also having a bigger food plot you can funnel the deer where you want them to go making it easier to hunt them. I would definitely try to plant a combination of fruit trees that drop fruit from September- January. Also throw some oak trees in there for the next generation to enjoy. I have been looking at "The Wildlife Group" for trees. They are a little high to me but they have a good survival rate and they sell different tree packages.

treemanjohn

Banned
Have you grown any of these? Ive been curious about them for a long time. Any pictures of how they do around here, how long it takes to produce mast, how the animals use it?
I have several young ones growing. Theyre not ready to put out. Growing pretty good. I haven't been watching them. I'm buying more but not bare roots. Theyre also native

sportsman94

I have several young ones growing. Theyre not ready to put out. Growing pretty good. I haven't been watching them. I'm buying more but not bare roots. Theyre also native

Please keep us updated on how they do. Several years back I was going to buy a bunch for screening cover for certain plots and access. Would also love to know when they deposit for you here.

Gut_Pile

I would try something like this. Plant your food plot on the high point of the field with trees surrounding it. I would leave two gaps in the tree plantings. One would be to be able to see the plot from the south red X (stand location) and the other gap would be for a road that would serve two purposes. One would be access to the east red X for bow hunting, and the other would give the deer easy access to your plot from the woods. It would also create a great funnel to hunt. Just a thought

tree planting.jpg