Plate-O-Cuban Goodness

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
We had some leftover smoked pork loin in the freezer, so I sliced it thin and hit it with some Cuban seasonings and heated it up. Added French bread rolls, some dijon mustard, ham, Swiss cheese, and pickles and stuck 'em in the sammich masher. Then I fried up some plantains into tostones while the Mrs. grilled up some pineapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. It was almost edible.
I hate you.:banginghe

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How'd you get them flattened like that? I've tried it & I either over cook them and they won't flatten........... I don't know what I'm doing wrong with them. I just wait on the neighbors to come up & "Granma" cooks me some!:cheers:

Keebs, it's easy-I cut the plantains into 2" long or so pieces, and drop 'em in 350* oil for a couple-three minutes, then take 'em out and let 'em cool down a little. Then I stand 'em up on they little ends between two pieces of wax paper and whack 'em with the flat side of a meat hammer, small frying pan, coffee cup, the cat, or anything of that nature. Flattens 'em right out. Then put 'em back in the oil and fry them for a few more minutes until they're brown and kinda crispy on the outside and soft inside. :cheers:

First off, sammich looks awesome bud! Got to get me a griddle sammich smasher thing one of these days.

And I LOVE fried plantains! I've got a mango-jerk BBQ sauce/dip recipe for them somewhere a Jamaican gave me years ago. I will try and find, dad gum are they even better dipped in that sauce! Has a nice sweet spicy flavor.

FIND IT!!!!

Jim Baker

Staff member
We had some leftover smoked pork loin in the freezer, so I sliced it thin and hit it with some Cuban seasonings and heated it up. Added French bread rolls, some dijon mustard, ham, Swiss cheese, and pickles and stuck 'em in the sammich masher. Then I fried up some plantains into tostones while the Mrs. grilled up some pineapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. It was almost edible.

This is possibly the best post on all the forums across the board!!!:clap::cheers:

ryork

That looks awesome! I love plantain too, fried, grilled or whatever. Like you said, just not raw!

swamp hunter

AND THAT is one of the reasons I married my Rican Bride.
We had Roast Pork , Pappas Renas, Empanadas and Tostones last night....fine eats .

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
FIND IT!!!![/QUOTE]

I can't find the dern thing but pretty sure it went like this:

2 mangos diced up and puréed.
1/2 onion diced up and puréed.
1-2 (depending on spice preference) habanero pepper, seeded and puréed.
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tblspn honey
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon(can't remember is this was a 1/4 or 1/2, use to your liking)
1/2 tspn white pepper

Cook onion in a pan until starting to clear n brown, then add garlic. Place onion/garlic mixture in blender with mango and remaining ingredients and blend. Chill n serve.

This is it best to my memory....which don't serve me to well these days:D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
FIND IT!!!!

1 tsp minced garlic
2 tblspn honey
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tspn white pepper

Cook onion in a pan until starting to clear n brown, then add garlic. Place onion/garlic mixture in blender with mango and remaining ingredients and blend. Chill n serve.

This is it best to my memory....which don't serve me to well these days:D[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Sounds good-I'll definitely have to try that. :cheers:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
A mixture of garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaves, cumin, cayenne, and tumeric is what I used on this, along with some lime juice and zest. Sour/bitter orange juice would be even better, but I don't have any.
:biggrin2: I have some sour orange juice in da freezer! I love having Cuban connections!:cool:
Keebs, it's easy-I cut the plantains into 2" long or so pieces, and drop 'em in 350* oil for a couple-three minutes, then take 'em out and let 'em cool down a little. Then I stand 'em up on they little ends between two pieces of wax paper and whack 'em with the flat side of a meat hammer, small frying pan, coffee cup, the cat, or anything of that nature. Flattens 'em right out. Then put 'em back in the oil and fry them for a few more minutes until they're brown and kinda crispy on the outside and soft inside. :cheers:

FIND IT!!!!
:cool: I think I got it now........... one thing, I wasn't "deep frying" - - granma told me to do it in a skillet.......... I'll pick some up this week and try it again.............
FIND IT!!!!

1 tsp minced garlic
2 tblspn honey
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tspn white pepper

This is it best to my memory....which don't serve me to well these days:D[/quote]
Oh my, I have everything on the list!!:fine:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:biggrin2: I have some sour orange juice in da freezer! I love having Cuban connections!:cool:

:cool: I think I got it now........... one thing, I wasn't "deep frying" - - granma told me to do it in a skillet.......... I'll pick some up this week and try it again.............

1 tsp minced garlic
2 tblspn honey
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tspn white pepper

This is it best to my memory....which don't serve me to well these days:D
[/QUOTE]

You can do it in a skillet, as long as you pour a couple inches of oil in there. I use a deep cast-iron skillet thingy to fry mine.