Point ID

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m not a expert either and it could be authentic but I’d bet not . I’m sure someone that can for sure tell will let us know . I’m curious as well . It’s a mighty fine piece

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a modern Dalton made by a pretty good knapper from heat-treated chert. Either that, or it's one of the top handful on earth of dug grave goods museum-quality Daltons in existence. If that chert is heat-treated, that doesn't fit with the transitional Paleo era when Dalton points were made.

JohnnyVegas

I’m skeptical as well. Just trying to get the details for a friend. He says it was found during the construction of a home. Been to the area and personally found many large pieces of pottery and other points laying around on the surface.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m skeptical as well. Just trying to get the details for a friend. He says it was found during the construction of a home. Been to the area and personally found many large pieces of pottery and other points laying around on the surface.
Pottery came about 8,000 years after that style of point was in use. If it is authentic, that is a top-shelf specimen. Do you mind saying what area this was found in? That would help type the material it should be made from. And, most Daltons of that size and style come from Arkansas, Missouri, or somewhere out in that area.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
It came from an area adjacent to the Ohoopee River in southern Emanuel County.

That`s the edge of my old stomping grounds and ancestral homeland. Points found around there are made mostly from Coastal Plains chert and Bay Branch chert, which is found there locally, and some made from the grayish chert from around the Savannah River. I`ve seen Coastal Plains chert cook out to the color of that point, but heat treating stone came long after the Period that point came from. As for finding pottery in the area, I would worry about that being associated with a Dalton, because it could be an incidental find. If it`s real. I`m having strong doubts about it, no offense.

One question-is the base and hafting area ground to nearly a polish?

JohnnyVegas

That`s the edge of my old stomping grounds and ancestral homeland. Points found around there are made mostly from Coastal Plains chert and Bay Branch chert, which is found there locally, and some made from the grayish chert from around the Savannah River. I`ve seen Coastal Plains chert cook out to the color of that point, but heat treating stone came long after the Period that point came from. As for finding pottery in the area, I would worry about that being associated with a Dalton, because it could be an incidental find. If it`s real. I`m having strong doubts about it, no offense.

One question-is the base and hafting area ground to nearly a polish?[/QUOTE
No offense taken. I’m just a novice who’s fascinated with artifacts from the past and only know what I’m able to find on the internet and from you guys on here. The base, upon close inspection, is not polished smooth. It has many grooves, flaked indentions. It’s origin may be a tall tale, but it certainly came from an area where a lot of very nice artifacts have been found. Either way, thanks for the comments.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You see stuff like this at knapins. Way to perfect for a old one
There are old ones that perfect. or more so. They just don't usually come from Georgia. Not ones that size made from material like that.

The serrations look a bit exaggerated on that one, too.

Last edited:

Phish242

One question-is the base and hafting area ground to nearly a polish?
Wow you seem very educated about the area and it’s history . We hunt near Nunez and the little ohoopee and I get so excited about my finds. The colors are so amazing and I had no idea that was a heat thing . I was in Burke county last weekend with my dad and stumbled up on some really cool stuff and lots of it. Do you know how these two areas may tie together somehow ? What do you know about the Savannah river agate I was finding ? I found many broken arrowheads and some tools I am unsure about - so sad they were all broken but still excited about my finds 1632125044403.jpeg

I agree with everything Nic and NCH have already stated. The last picture you are showing is also coastal plain chert that hasn’t been heat treated. Savannah River/Briar Creek/Allendale chert is all the same formation. It produces a wide variety of color in heat treating.

Last edited:

Latest posts