possum catching, home edition

Drew

Caught possum after 5 days when my wife wanted to let outside dog in because of freezing temps, possum walked through the doggie door and has been eating dog food and chicken necks and fresh water. Hid in a box in the corner of a room during the day and made out like a bandit with a free airbnb reservation through the night. Cancelled that reservation this morning and relocated her to the woods 5 miles away.

Attachments

• house possum.jpg
    house possum.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 21

specialk

thats funny, got a neighbor that has a little dog that stays at home during the day-has a doggie door to get in/out-...he comes home early one day and sits down in the living room, all of of a sudden the dog door flys up and a beagle runs thru to the kitchen, eats his dogs food, gets a drink of water, then jumps up on the sofa next to him....ole stray dog that no telling how long had been coming to visit!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Preserve the lowly possum. In spite of the fact that they are bad on ground nesting birds, and your chickens, they lived with the dinosaurs, and they might save you from starvation before this government gets thrown out.

Drew

Any animal that eats as many ticks as possum does I will let live, just not inside my house.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always had a soft spot for possums. They may not be real smart, but they are ancient survivors.

sportsman94

Any animal that eats as many ticks as possum does I will let live, just not inside my house.

I believe the possum eating ticks thing is pretty well false. If I recall correctly, the researcher did something along the lines of putting the possum in a box so inundated with ticks that it would almost be hard for it not to eat them. I can’t imagine they eat many for the shear fact that they would walk forever trying to get enough to fill their belly

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Factoid: Possums are mostly immune to pit viper venom.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I had to permanently close Prissy the Chihuahua's dog door into the back porch, due to possum activity.... :bounce:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I found a little possum squeaking off a game trail one evening after a hunt that must have fell off its mommas back. It was covered in small larvae. Brought it home and cleaned it up. Fed it cat food and kept it in a paint can box until it graduated to a cat crate. It was constantly cleaning itself despite the reputation of being nasty critters. It had grown to adolescence and I eventually had to take it back up on the mountain because of the biting and constant tea bagging. We named him Sam.

idk

I found a little possum squeaking off a game trail one evening after a hunt that must have fell off its mommas back. It was covered in small larvae. Brought it home and cleaned it up. Fed it cat food and kept it in a paint can box until it graduated to a cat crate. It was constantly cleaning itself despite the reputation of being nasty critters. It had grown to adolescence and I eventually had to take it back up on the mountain because of the biting and constant tea bagging. We named him Sam.
Wait, you got tea bagged by a possum?