Posting stream locations

Taxman

Just a word of warning for the younger fly fisher people. Posting
locations and stream names/acess points can quickly turn a quiet
peaceful location into a very active and public place. With the crowds, come good and bad people and sometimes car breakins. Joining
and contributing to a forum will often get you locations via PM's.
Some forums now ban people for posting stream names and locations
after a few horror stories.

Good luck and peace to my fly fishing friends:))

Last edited:

Resica

Just a word of warning for the younger fly fisher people. Posting
locations and stream names/acess points can quickly turn a quiet
peaceful location into a very active and public place. With the crowds, come good and bad people and sometimes car breakins. Joining
and contributing to a forum will often get you locations via PM's.
Some forums now ban people for posting stream names and locations
after a few horror stories.

Good luck and peace to my fly fishing friends:))
Does the State of Georgia not post stocked streams, wild trout streams?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Yes they do. Even post which streams are stocked each week and which hold wild.

Resica

Yes they do. Even post which streams are stocked and which are wild.
They do that up here too. There are plenty of streams that have not been graded recently as far as wild streams go, but they post what they know. Most of the streams I hit, I never see anyone or any evidence of someone being there. We have a boatload of creeks and streams that hold wild trout!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but posting a thread with a bunch of fish on a named creek is a sure way to see 50 people there the next time you go. I've seen places ruirnt by folks posting locations on social media. Not just trout streams. One of my favorite off-the-beaten path boat ramps to launch for crappie fishing was blown up and covered up this year in an absolutely ridiculous manner after some idiot named it on Facebook and Instagram with pics of limits of crappie.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
They do that up here too. There are plenty of streams that have not been graded recently as far as wild streams go, but they post what they know. Most of the streams I hit, I never see anyone or any evidence of someone being there. We have a boatload of creeks and streams that hold wild trout!!
I have seen the number but don't remember it but there are maybe 1000 miles of streams that hold trout in GA. if I can find the number I'll edit this post.

Resica

Yes, but posting a thread with a bunch of fish on a named creek is a sure way to see 50 people there the next time you go. I've seen places ruirnt by folks posting locations on social media. Not just trout streams. One of my favorite off-the-beaten path boat ramps to launch for crappie fishing was blown up and covered up this year in an absolutely ridiculous manner after some idiot named it on Facebook and Instagram with pics of limits of crappie.
I wasn't thinking about that, my bad. I guess because I'd never do it. Not good to post catches and streams online!!

Resica

I have seen the number but don't remember it but there are maybe 1000 miles of streams that hold trout in GA. if I can find the number I'll edit this post.
Apparently we have something like 16,000 miles of wild trout streams and another 5 thousand miles of streams that are stocked. Hate it when they overlap! Keep the stocked trout out of our wild streams!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No matter what outdoor sport you participate in, hunting, fishing, counting terrapins, or anything concerning the outdoors, if you start naming places, you are doing a terrible disservice to yourself and everybody else. Those treasured places will soon be overrun with people and other assorted two legged varmints. An example is a popular outdoor magazine (which will stay unnamed ) did some articles on a very good impoundment for ducks, and it ruined the place.

In my time, you were told to stay quiet about where you found fish and game.

So, in this day and time, KEEP YOUR DADGUM MOUTH SHUT.

Timberbeast

Unfortunately it’s true. Name it and it likely will never be the same. The unfortunate part I’ve found is that you want to take a good friend or family member to experience the good experience, and it can be the same as putting and ad in the paper about it. Lessons learned. Lessons passed on

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Except they’re not all the same. Now go fish your favorite two miles with 200 people wading in it. It’s even worse when you burn native trout waters. Let folks go explore those miles by themselves and find their own place. People who post stream names should be tortured.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Does that include the people at the DNR?
The people at the DNR ain't posting specific locations with pictures of fish to get likes on Instagram. They deal in generalities. If you don't understand this problem, then you haven't fished much, and have never had your favorite spot absolutely ruined and raped and completely overrun and killed. Myself, and many other people have. You just do not understand, but sadly, you will learn eventually. If you don't understand, then I have no use for you. You are the problem.