practice??

GADawg08

do ya'll have a rule of thumb for your practice yardages? I've heard some guys say they only practice out to the yardage they will shoot an animal. I've heard guys say they practice at double the yardage they would take an animal. And I know guys that practice 75 yds or so but will only shoot deer inside of 40

BlackEagle

Banned
I shoot at targets as far as I can, sometimes even 100 yards, and I shoot at animals as far as I feel confident.

bowhunterdavid

I practice a lot at 50, 60, 70, 80, plus yards but I would not shoot a deer much over 50 yards, I killed on last year at 55 yards and one at 45 yards in a food plot with no wind, that being said practicing at long distances makes those common 20 yard shots like shooting at a barn door, Its just all about fun to me to just practice long shots in the back yard, if you shoot just about every day like I do it gets boring shooting 20 to 30 yards.

edsebring

I practice a lot at 50, 60, 70, 80, plus yards but I would not shoot a deer much over 50 yards, I killed on last year at 55 yards and one at 45 yards in a food plot with no wind, that being said practicing at long distances makes those common 20 yard shots like shooting at a barn door, Its just all about fun to me to just practice long shots in the back yard, if you shoot just about every day like I do it gets boring shooting 20 to 30 yards.

What he said.

Smackem

Most of my shooting (90%) is about 50 yards. But i regularly shoot at 90 yards. I probably shoot 40 arrows every day at 50.

BigCats

I also shoot sitting on ground , at angles to target as if it's a quartering shot, from the tree ,any possible shot that may happen in the woods I try and practice it. I haven't quite gotten the whole shooting out the window with the bow down yet though����. Just kidding

BowanaLee

Practice all distances and angles. Be one with the bow.

Skunkhound

I'm still kinda new so I'm comfortable out to 40 or so for practice, but I like to shoot a lot out to 25, which is probably the furthest I'd take a live shot for now.

rutnbuk

Slightly off topic- but the best advice I can offer at this point in the game is to practice 'regularly' still. Lots of good advice on distance but a huge mistake I used to make was practice all summer and once the season got here I was too busy hunting to practice. Not good. I keep a practice arrow in the garage and when I get home from hunts I go and take "one" shot at my target- usually at less than 20 yards. I like to put "make it count" pressure on- same as the real deal. Good luck

Latest posts