crossbow for teen Christmas advice?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hope y'all are doin great!
I'm interested in a crossbow for my teen son for Christmas.
I'll be very convinient to Acadamy Sports tomorrow.
We have ABSOLUTLEY NO crossbow experience what so ever! Never used one.
I'm interested in a mid level crossbow he can deer hunt with and is user friendly.
This may sound ignorant to some of y'all, but I just don't know anything, but I hear things. And I've heard, as some of y'all probly have about some folks thumbs getting hit by the string or somethin. I don't know any fact about that but it concernes me.

What say y'all about a easy to use, safe user friendly deer hunting crossbow at Acadamy sports?

Thanks for any insight!

slow motion

Rope cocker can be difficult if he's a younger teen. In that case look at one with a crank. Banger my thumb once when I wasn't paying attention firing a decocking bolt. Got my thumb in the way. Course you know @Jim Thompson broke a bone with his. Just gotta be careful. Can't recommend a brand. I've had several. Never had a high end model cause I'm too cheap. Good luck.

sea trout

Thanks, yeah he's an average size 15 yr old

earlthegoat2

The lower end Excaliburs would fit the bill. They don’t look space age high tech but they are dirt simple and rarely have problems.

Mine will shoot 2” groups at 50 yds with me as the shooter.

I think all of them will shoot that well though.

The lower end Excaliburs would fit the bill. They don’t look space age high tech but they are dirt simple and rarely have problems.
They sure do have a big foot print. They do have a built in cranking handle. But you have to hold onto that handle same with the raven. That sucker will break your hands and fingers if you slip. The way the ten points are would be much safer for a youth.
The Excalibur is a sure fire good simple crossbow. My friend has an assassin td 420 great xbow
I believe the wicked ridge has the same accudraw that’s in the ten point and have a lifetime warranty on limbs. Cheaper priced point also. It’s made by ten point

catch22

I bought the wicked ridge 370 with accudraw this year. I did alot of research and for the price I wanted to spend, this one fit the bill. here is a novice review on it and xbows in general

The pros:
1. most all of the new xbows have huge thumb guards built into the forearm and getting your finger caught by the string is almost impossible
2. the 370 is super accurate, but most of the new ones are. scary accurate that you should not shoot the same bullseye twice
3. the scope comes pre-mounted and has caps. its no top of the line model, but is a good one
4. easy to assemble
5. easy to crank and has a clicker like a boat winch so that if you lose grip, it wont break your hand. also has a notch for a rope pull cock if desired or as a back up

The cons:
1. alot of the xbow companies require a specific nock/bolt type, so be aware of this
2. the triggers on most midgrade and inexpensive xbows have a ton of leak in them. they are not crisp like a rifle so they take some practice to get used to
3. xbows can be heavy, front heavy, have a large footprint and awkward, so make sure it feels good

best of luck finding what you need!

WaltL1

Might be obvious to most but...... get a good sling for whatever xbow you get!!! Makes carrying it around so much easier. I figured that one out pretty quick.

flatwoods

I would research one with a decent trigger. I have a Center Point.
It's very accurate and does what I need but I did spend $130 having a trigger job done. The trigger on Center Point is awful.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Have used a Wicked Ridge G3 Invader since 2016, shoots 330 fps and typically gets complete pass throughs on critters, to include a 390 pound black bear.

Wicked Ridge or 10 Point would be my picks

sea trout

Have used a Wicked Ridge G3 Invader since 2016, shoots 330 fps and typically gets complete pass throughs on critters, to include a 390 pound black bear.

Wicked Ridge or 10 Point would be my picks
Ahhh cool!
I figured youd've carved out your own!!!!

wish I had some ramps salsa

WOODIE13

WOODIE13

Ahhh cool!
I figured youd've carved out your own!!!!

wish I had some ramps salsa
IMG_20231104_173404.jpg
So simple an 11 year old can handle it, plus most have the finger guards now days.

Also get a tripod and range finder, works wonders.20231104_154054.jpg

Last edited:

sea trout

WOODIE13

Awesome!!!!!! Good job girl!!!!

But woodie you need your range finder and tripod for turkey huntin!!!!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Only if I'm hunting with BIL, the gobbler sniper:rofl: :rofl:

Next time I'll bring the 22-250