Probably did the wrong thing, but...

HayabusaTygr

Our company owner's wife *thought* she was doing a good job when she told me about a dog breeder in NW Georgia: "Chickamauga Kennels."

This is meant to be an objective and informative post.

I drove up to "Chickamauga Kennels" whose website glistens with the several breeds of dogs that they have been breeding since 1989. The website had a neat and clean appearance, and the dogs in the pictures looked healthy and happy - romping on grass and posed in the house.

It was anything but "healthy and happy." When I got there, I was confronted by a shed that had full grown Jack Russell Terriers (3) in a cage big enough for MAYBE one small adult rabbit: chicken wire on all sides, the top and the bottom. The cages were stacked, and feces and urine from upper cages dropped into lower cages and to the floor. The smell was horrible. I was then told that the three pups I had inquired about were "around back."

The owner walked me around the corner, and the deafening sound of screams, yelps, and barks rose. The smell I HAD smelled earlier was amplified so that I held my hand over my nose. I tried to breathe through my mouth, but I tasted the smell of feces, urine, and just dirty dogs. On one side was a cement concrete slab with fencing haphazardly installed - NO drainage. The pens were about 3' x 5' and had anywhere from 3-6 dogs in each pen. There were piles of feces EVERYWHERE. We continued walking until we got to what looked like a converted chicken house with more dog pens in it.

We walked past them - there were all the "popular" breeds: Maltese, Yorkies, Papillon, etc. We got to the pen with the three pups I went there to see.

One had a blue haze across his eyes which was indicative of vision loss, another would approach, become paralyzed with fear, snap and run away. The third seemed more jovial, made eye contact and wagged its rear end as hard as it could.

By the time I had originally gotten to the kennels, I had talked myself OUT of getting a dog. Until I saw pup #3.

Now, I KNEW I was taking a chance getting this pup. Even though the website professed "health guarantee." I was willing to take a chance - both monetarily if need be and emotionally.

So I purchased him. Yes, I know - wrong thing to do. :huh:

The entire ride home, my car smelled like the feces, urine, and stench from the kennels. There's no way on God's green Earth that anyone had EVER done an inspection of that facility. If they had then they would be fined or shut down. There wasn't ANY drainage in any of the pens. The pens were full of waste, and no doubts, every single one of those dogs have some sort of health problem. Breathing in ammonia-rich air can't be healthy.

I took the pup to the vet who was diagnosed with flea allergies, staph infection, and ear mites. The vet gave the little guy his annual vaccinations (since he ONLY had puppy shots but was 6 mths old) and dewormed him again. The vet bill ended up costing more than what I paid for the pup. I scheduled his neutering when he was done with his medication for his staph infection.

I called the Dept. of Ag. and asked about the kennels, and lo and behold, "no complaints." Am I the only one that thought this place was less than sanitary?

I knew what I was getting into as well getting a puppy mill puppy. They take A LOT more time and effort than your average puppy. Saturday was the first time my little guy ever felt a different surface than concrete. He didn't know what grass was. He's scared of everything fast movement, loud noise, or when you go to pick him up.

On the positive note, as of last night, he was coming around. He eagerly wants to please, but is still unsure of who we are. He will sit 10 feet away and wag his tail as hard as he can and whimper and stare at us. When we call him ("Dude"), you can tell he just wants to run over to us, but doesn't.

I would highly recommend against purchasing a puppy from this person (hypocrite, I know I am) unless you have the time and the means to take care of an animal that will probably have lifelong problems (behaviorial - possibly and health - Lord knows there isn't a selective breeding process).

cobb

where was this place? I'm sure I may have been there as well, I work for the phone company and I worked at a place off Hwy 20 at forsyth, cherokee line. absolutely discusting. at least 70 small breed dogs stuffed in tiny pens.

cobb

never mind, I just looked up the website it's not the same place I have been but I quess this goes on more than I thought...hard to believe.

hogdawg

Congratulations to you for saving the little "Dude" from that environment. So, what did the Dept. of Ag. say? Are they going to investigate?

It makes me sick to know that places like that exist. I hope they get shut down and go to jail!!

HayabusaTygr

I have had friends say "congrats," but I don't feel "lucky" or "heroic" for purchasing my guy. I know I only promoted his breeding practices...unfortunately.

The Dept of Ag gave the ambiguous, "we'll look into that," and the local Animal Control never returned my call (yet). One of the main points of the Animal Protection Division through the Dept of Ag indicates that all kennels must have proper drainage, etc.

chazzy

Give a call to the tv news stations in Chattanooga and Atlanta and see if they're interested as I bet they would be given the popularity of Mike Vick's dog case.

Kudos for helping the "Dude" out!!

He will sit 10 feet away and wag his tail as hard as he can and whimper and stare at us.

Very typical of puppies from puppies mills. This is called "lack of socialization". He will get better but most dogs never totally overcome it.

Nothing beats a bunch of kids playing with all the puppies to properly socialize them. The mills don't have time or resources to do this.

grizzlyblake

I agree, call one of the bigger news stations. They have the "Fox 5 Investigation" or whatever, and I'm sure they'll eat it up. Places like that need the publicity so people will take action. Plus, it scares other people running similar operations. They definitely don't want a camera crew showing up to see their setup.

HayabusaTygr

Well he's only 6 months old so still a puppy. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I got him - lack of socialization, doesn't understand a crate because to him - he urinated and defecated where he ate and slept - etc.

He's REALLY good about baths and allowing me to clean out his ears and clean around his eyes with baby wipes.

He's doing much better this evening - he LOVES to play with toys so that's a plus. He's actually passed out on my bed with his hiney touching my hip right now as I type.

DOXIELADY

I remember back when I first started buying dachshunds found some awful conditions, the smell of the puppy would be like a rotting carcus, I have been down that road where your torn between rescuing a pup and still incouraging a puppy mill and now if someone tells me they have a bunch of differnt breeds of dogs I wont even bother to go, they try to have every breed that sales instead of having a love for the breed .I treat every person and sale to every person a puppy in the condition I would want mine if I was buying one its hard enough to sometimes put out money to buy a little furry friend without having to treat for every worm and coccdia and everything else and then be told well it due vaccinations as well ,when people are looking to buy a puppy they shouldnt feel like it is a rescue and feel guilty if they walk away

Last edited:

HayabusaTygr

I didn't really understand the nature of your post. I had a vast understanding of what type of pup I was getting when I got it from this "breeder." I knew exactly the type of behaviorial issues and health issues this pup would have currently as well as potential future health issues. I did not walk blindly into this "kennel" and say "oh no! poor puppy! I'll take him!" I thought, "oh no! poor puppy! Lord knows your parentage wasn't tested for syringomyelia, dislocating knee caps, hip dysplasia, mitral valve disease! Lord knows that you still have worm infestation, and I know you've never been seen by a vet for the pyloderma staph. infection you have on your belly. Your first vet visit will cost me around $300, and I'm prepared to take on whatever your body is going to throw at me." I think that was a pretty informed decision on my part.

However, I also know that there are people out there who are going to see a puppy in need and impulse buy without knowing the risks and expense of doing so. That is my point: a warning to others considering this particular "breeder" who is pumping out all of the "popular" breeds of dogs out there that I'm sure at least one or two Woody's members or Woody's members' wives would love to own.

DOXIELADY

My point was I had been in that situation before when I was first looking for a miniature dachshhund ,and I knew when I saw the place that I would be rushing to the vet to see what life would hold for the puppy and what health issues they would have and like you I knew what I was getting into but at that time I didnt realize that all I was doing was givng a puppy mill more money to continue to run there puppy mill and giving them more room to have another unfortunate litter so my post was just to warn others of the same situation

HayabusaTygr

Hence why my post was titled, "Probably did the wrong thing, but"

My post was also a warning not only against this specific kennel, but about puppy mills in general.

MCBUCK

I just sent an e-mail with a link to this post to News Channel 9 in Chattanooga......may be they will look further into this.

DOXIELADY

I know of a lady that comes to my local vet and deals with situations like that ,helps shut down puppy mills an helps neglected dogs,I will see if she can help and pm you her number,I am glad that puppy found a good home and I hope everything goes well with the little guy

HayabusaTygr

I was contacted by another person who had dealings with this "breeder." They purchased a Maltese from this kennel. The time they went, a young girl helped them out at the kennel (probably the same one that scribed the pup's shot records in pencil on a notepad piece of paper for me). The young girl told the people that bought the 14 wks old pup that "this pup hasn't had much handling besides taking it out of the cage for people to look at." She said that her pup came from one of the rabbit cages with dogs in it in one of the sheds, but she had peeked around the corner and saw the area I was talking about.

She said she, too, contacted the Dept. of Ag and the local AC, but nothing (obviously) happened.

Another woman said she went last weekend and filled out a report at badbreeder.org (as I did as well) because AC said they couldn't do anything.

bobman

I think you did the right thing, too bad for the rest of them.

This is what PETA should be policing instead of chasing hunters.

I would consider sicing them on them. It might give them something worth while to do for a change.