Problems with Glocks

polaris30144

As an Armorer for about a dozen different weapon systems, I have been following these developments for a few years now. Thought I'd share.

I read the articles and have come to the conclusion that this is very old, useless information( 2002-2004). Glock took steps four years ago to correct the problem as stated in the article. I appreciate your concern, but would rather believe information that is current than an article written with excerpts over a six years ago period that has no relevance to current status.

If you are a Glock hater, you will need better propaganda than old outdated material to substantiate the "junk Glock" myth. Every major gun manufacturer in the world has had recalls or quality problems at one time or another, so this is not a major issue since it was corrected as any other company has in the past. Most Glock issues have been determined to come from Junk ammo malfunctions rather than gun design flaws. :flag:

257 roberts

A cure for all the ills of the Glop: Just carry two Smiths. Or Three, or Four.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

No plastic involved.:bounce:

I carried a S&W Model 10 for a few years:)

georgiaboy

I read the articles and have come to the conclusion that this is very old, useless information( 2002-2004). Glock took steps four years ago to correct the problem as stated in the article. I appreciate your concern, but would rather believe information that is current than an article written with excerpts over a six years ago period that has no relevance to current status.

I guess it might be relevant if you had a pistol that was 4 years old or older. I was glad to see the info because I have a Gen II right now.

I don't know cmshoot really well, but my understanding is that he has quite a few rounds through a Glock.

General observation and not directed towards anyone: I like Glocks alot but they are prone to a hiccup now and then, just like EVERY other firearm, 1911s and revolvers included. I am not an accomplished pistol shooter, far from it. I would wager that anyone who hasn't seen or had some kind of malfunction hasn't shot enough.

If this wasn't the case guys wouldn't practice malfunction drills.

redlevel

I would wager that anyone who hasn't seen or had some kind of malfunction hasn't shot enough.

I have had two in guns that I was regularly carrying as personal protection: A smokestack jam in a S&W Model 39-2, and I had one of the early, sure 'nuff +p rounds, Super-Vel I think, jump the crimp and tie up the cylinder on a S&W Model-36.

georgiaboy

I had one of the early, sure 'nuff +p rounds, Super-Vel I think, jump the crimp and tie up the cylinder on a S&W Model-36.

I stopped by the gunstore today to pick up a part and a guy told me about the same issue with a 1917 he had years back. I have heard of several revolver cylinders locking from hot loads. :eek:

I suspect you have a few rounds downrange too. ;)

RepeatDefender

:banginghe bummer :cry: but, thats the only reason I can see not to have one, although I'd still have em anyways :bounce:

I've got nothing against either of them, that being 1911's in general or Glocks (as an entire line of quality firearms). That being said, I do want to be as comfortable as possible with a firearm that I'd trust my life to.

SnowHunter

I've got nothing against either of them, that being 1911's in general or Glocks (as an entire line of quality firearms). That being said, I do want to be as comfortable as possible with a firearm that I'd trust my life to.

10-4, and thats very good logic :flag:

Bill Mc

Just get a Hi-Point and then you can complain for real

:rofl::rofl:

cnutter

I own a Glock 23 that was one of the first 23s into the USA. It has been upgraded once.

It now has over 25,000 rounds though it. And it keeps on ticking. My guess is if it breaks I will frame it and stick in on a wall and go buy a new one.

DBM78

You guys talking about getting and wanting a model 27 are crazy. If you put the pinky finger extender on it is almost the same size as a 23 with a half inch shorter barrel. On top of that it holds 6 less rounds. Just my opinion not a fan of the glock sub compacts unless you have really small hands or it for a woman.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
The only "design problem" that I know about with the Glocks is that due to the polygonal rifling, they don't like cast bullets and have a tendancy to malfunction, sometimes wildly, when given a steady diet of them. Other than that, they are utterly reliable and virtually indestrucable.
I am not a Glock-hater, I just don't like how they feel in my hand and, to me, they are not comfortable to shoot.

cmshoot

Didn't say as I was Glock hater. I have well over 100,000 rounds out of various models of Glocks to date, I am also a Glock Instructor and Glock Armorer.

Look at how long Glocks have been in production. The vast majority of Glocks out there are over 4 years old, hence I put the post out there for those folks that have older models. I wouldn't call that useless information.

I guess that auto manufacturer's shouldn't put out recalls on vehicle models that aren't current, either.

If you have a newer model and don't feel that this post pertains to you, then "yippy skippy". Don't waste anymore of your valuable time by reading and posting in a thread that you feel is below you. Start a new post and rave about how great your Glock is, and quit being so defensive. Don't get your ego bruised because someone doesn't share the same opinion of a certain firearm that you do.

This information isn't propaganda, it's substantiated fact. I have personally handled and seen around 10 Glocks ("older models", mainly G-22's) that have blown the barrel and/or had frame rail separation. I have talked to fellow Firearms Instructors and Armorer's from around the country that I know and trust very well who have witnessed the same thing.