Processing your own meat

Ugahunter2013

I like to get some of my deer cubed since I don't have one. Any ideas on an inexpensive set-up?

Dont get the manual cuber that Academy sells. I have one and its junk. I want one of the cubing attachments to go on my grinder or the wifes kitchen aid mixer but its criminal what they charge for them.

willie1971

Dont get the manual cuber that Academy sells. I have one and its junk. I want one of the cubing attachments to go on my grinder or the wifes kitchen aid mixer but its criminal what they charge for them.

Ok, I'll shop around. My kitchenaid grinder works great for ground jerky and sticks

RossVegas

I've got one of the harbor freight grinders, and really have no complaints with it. It gets the job done. I just grind mine with no filler. Mix in a little bacon grease when I goto cook it up. I highly recommend vacuum sealing, and I recommend doing a little reasearch, and investing in a good vacuum sealer. Food Saver is garbage, don't buy them. They work fine, but I've burnt up 2 of them. We vacuum seal a lot more than just my deer meat, so it gets some useage. and they are worth their weight in gold. recently found a pack of deer meat in the freezer that was about 2 years old. It tasted and looked just as fresh as the day I packed it.

Oh one other thing I picked up a few years ago. Cooler age your meat 2-3 days before processing it. keep in the cooler outside with the drain open. keep ice on it and let melt. Keep ice replenished. As ice melts and runs off it'll take the blood with it. I wasn't thinking one time and shot a doe the day i was leaving town for a week. Had to ask a buddy to keep ice on the cooler for me for a week. Had to trim a few edges off the meat that'd dried out, but other wise it was fine. wouldn't advise leaving it a week, but i've did it.

Last edited:

Goddard

7035DBC1-EE2C-4B77-85FA-9901A3729694.jpeg

Attachments

• 862FD5E4-8E74-4C7A-9612-83FE33AA0FA7.jpeg
    862FD5E4-8E74-4C7A-9612-83FE33AA0FA7.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 8

Goddard

We had a Kitchenside with grinder attachment, but felt it was too slow. We purchased the mid-grade from Cabelas. We processed 6 last year and 2 so far this year. When Neeses closed up we just made the decision to do our own. My husband and I enjoy doing it together. We buy beef fat at Ingles and out about 6-8% into the ground. It has been fabulous!

Ugahunter2013

We had a Kitchenside with grinder attachment, but felt it was too slow. We purchased the mid-grade from Cabelas. We processed 6 last year and 2 so far this year. When Neeses closed up we just made the decision to do our own. My husband and I enjoy doing it together. We buy beef fat at Ingles and out about 6-8% into the ground. It has been fabulous!
i get beef fat already ground and frozen into pellats from a local wholesale grocer. 50 lbs for $45

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I have a 30" by 26" bamboo cutting board that's awesome, it was the cut out for my stove when I installed a bamboo island counter. It holds a whole deer ham and has room for the scrap pile and the save pile.

People always forget about the piece that gets cut out of EVERY counter top for a sink. You can custom make your board how ever you want. I‘ve had this one for 20 years and I use it everyday. It’s 32 by 24.
B775988C-9C44-4D94-8BC6-C07732E66032.png

t8ter

Did 5 last year ourselves. Cheap cabelas grinder and a vacuum sealer. Would like to have a larger grinder. Used the fat from ingles last year and it was great. Only prob here is the soap builders get the fat to. Was told last year they would not let us have anymore fat due to getting it ready for the soap builders. They were all not showing back up to get it. I ground a bunch of fat and froze. We’ll see if it’s still good in a few. Once you get on a roll it’s easy. Clean ups the doozy if done in kitchen. Thinking bout buying me one of those large metal pans we used to use to change oil back in the day to place under grinder and bowls.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to get some of my deer cubed since I don't have one. Any ideas on an inexpensive set-up?
A big, heavy good-quality meat hammer with sharp spikes on one side works pretty durn good.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
You can usually get pork fat trimmings from places like ingles, Publix, etc.
Just got back from the Publix on 211 and the one on 124. Publix no longer allows the butchers to sell it. facepalm: