Progression of a Timber Rattler bite

sinclair1

I can think of about a dozen people off the top of my head I know that have been bitten. Snake boots wouldn't have saved a one of them. Mostly bites to the hand or finger while working by copperheads that they didn't see and reached too close to. I don't know anybody I can think of offhand who was bitten on the leg.
You need some snake gloves :bounce: I stomp around in flip flops and short pants, but my eyesight is getting worse so I need to take precautions. Not sure what they are because boots are out of the question. I had a near miss that would have been in the face. He was on a firewood pile.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You need some snake gloves :bounce: I stomp around in flip flops and short pants, but my eyesight is getting worse so I need to take precautions. Not sure what they are because boots are out of the question. I had a near miss that would have been in the face. He was on a firewood pile.

No matter how good your eyes are, chances are you`ll never see the snake that hits you, till it moves to make the strike. Only the Good Lord knows how many all of us has walked by that never moved.

Speaking from experience, when you do step on a big rattlesnake, you will never forget that sensation under your foot. It can`t be described, but you know what it is.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hear people around here using the term canebrake and timber like they are the same snake, is that correct ? All of them I see look like this one View attachment 972119
Same species by most modern accounts, but different subspecies, races,or varieties, depending on whatever the current classification is, and it changes from time. The canbrake is the southern flatland race of timber rattler. They look like that one in your pic, are usually gray to tan to pinkish, and almost always have an orange stripe down their back. They also have genetic differences and differences in venom with the straight species timber rattlers, besides the differences in color. Basically, all canebrakes are timber rattlers, but all timber rattlers aren't canebrakes.

The normal timber rattler is what we have here in the mountains, and through the northeastern states. They come in two color phases. The most common ones are an olive-yellow background color with a black tail. The other phase is almost completely black with not a lot of pattern visible. There is almost never a defined back stripe in either color phase like you see in the canebrake, but the black phase ones soemtimes have a faint stripe.

Here are two mountain timbers that I came across in one morning of fishing last year, in the same general area. They represent the two common color phases of timbers, yaller and black:

yellowrattler1.jpg

blackrattler2.jpg

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Thanks man, do both have a black tail around the last 6 inches or so of their body ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Canebrakes also have a unique way of squaring their body up when they get defensive. I`ve never seen a pygmy or diamondback do that.

Dirtroad Johnson

No matter how good your eyes are, chances are you`ll never see the snake that hits you, till it moves to make the strike. Only the Good Lord knows how many all of us has walked by that never moved.

Speaking from experience, when you do step on a big rattlesnake, you will never forget that sensation under your foot. It can`t be described, but you know what it is.

I haven't ever stepped on one but been close more times than I care to.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NOYDB

BANNED
On my uncle's farm pond, there were a lot of overhanging cottonwood trees. When you approached the pond it would sound like a slow rain from all the moccasins hitting the water. I worked on my shooting at snake heads poked up out of the water. Might be a dozen at a time. Also shot turtle heads. Neither of which he wanted in his catfish pond.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
On my uncle's farm pond, there were a lot of overhanging cottonwood trees. When you approached the pond it would sound like a slow rain from all the moccasins hitting the water. I worked on my shooting at snake heads poked up out of the water. Might be a dozen at a time. Also shot turtle heads. Neither of which he wanted in his catfish pond.

Cottonmouths or watersnakes?