Propagating persimmon cuttings?

sghoghunter

Has anyone had any luck with propagating persimmon cuttings? I took some cuttings off some good producing persimmons at our club a while back to try some grafting and in doing some research on grafting I came up on this.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
NC Hillbilly did a thread a few years ago. Lots of good information there.

sghoghunter

Thanks milkman but that’s on the grafting and I’m looking for info on rooting some new growth cuttings. I cut some cuttings off a real good producing female tree a couple months ago and they’ve been rolled up in damp paper towels in a bag in the fridge till 10 days ago. I tried grafting 6 of them like the video shows then a few more I dipped in some growth hormone then stuck in potting soil. I’ve got green showing on most all the buds but not sure on the roots yet

Attachments

• 79099BDB-682D-4886-A5C3-F1CC1FFDC7A8.jpeg
    79099BDB-682D-4886-A5C3-F1CC1FFDC7A8.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 11

SRShunter

Thanks milkman but that’s on the grafting and I’m looking for info on rooting some new growth cuttings. I cut some cuttings off a real good producing female tree a couple months ago and they’ve been rolled up in damp paper towels in a bag in the fridge till 10 days ago. I tried grafting 6 of them like the video shows then a few more I dipped in some growth hormone then stuck in potting soil. I’ve got green showing on most all the buds but not sure on the roots yet
They are one of the hardest cuttings to root. Better success with digging up roots from the particular tree you want and getting it to grow from those roots. Other option is turning males into females via grafting. Good luck

Shadow11

Just a thought, I've never tried persimmon trees, but I've always had the best luck rooting other trees in 100% perlite, which is the white stuff you see in potting soil. I had a little bit of good luck with sand, but I never did well with potting soil.

Jim Boyd

SGHH -

@sghoghunter

What ever happened with the cuttings, sir - did they make trees?

I want to try this with pears…..

Thanks

sportsman94

SGHH -

@sghoghunter

What ever happened with the cuttings, sir - did they make trees?

I want to try this with pears…..

Thanks

Late last summer I went on a rooting spree. I didn’t have any good pears, but tried it with Bradford pears thinking if I could get them to root then I could graft good pears on later. I used peat moss and sand as the medium and put it under my air conditioning unit exhaust (whatever it’s called where water drops all summer). I knew if they had to rely on me keeping them watered they would be toast. The Bradford pears took well, so I imagine good pears might as well. Mulberries rooted very well if those interest you at All

Jim Boyd

Late last summer I went on a rooting spree. I didn’t have any good pears, but tried it with Bradford pears thinking if I could get them to root then I could graft good pears on later. I used peat moss and sand as the medium and put it under my air conditioning unit exhaust (whatever it’s called where water drops all summer). I knew if they had to rely on me keeping them watered they would be toast. The Bradford pears took well, so I imagine good pears might as well. Mulberries rooted very well if those interest you at All

I am gonna try some of my 5 pear varieties this year and see what happens.

I will gladly give plenty of cuttings to whoever wants to try it!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They actually held a little green bud for a couple weeks but never put on roots. None of the grafts took either.
I have had about 95% success with the grafts. If you do it right, it works, and works well. And you have fruiting trees in a year or two. Rooting cuttings, not so much.

sghoghunter

I have had about 95% success with the grafts. If you do it right, it works, and works well. And you have fruiting trees in a year or two. Rooting cuttings, not so much.

I’ve watched probably every video made on grafting but can’t get one to take to save my life.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve watched probably every video made on grafting but can’t get one to take to save my life.
Then, you're doing something very wrong, because it's easy, and it works.
The two BIG keys:
Timing: Cut your scion wood when it's dormant, and keep it alive in the fridge. Don't graft until the rootstock is fully leafed out.
Cambium contact: You have to have it.
If you do these two simple things right, almost all your persimmon grafts will take.

sghoghunter

Then, you're doing something very wrong, because it's easy, and it works.
The two BIG keys:
Timing: Cut your scion wood when it's dormant, and keep it alive in the fridge. Don't graft until the rootstock is fully leafed out.
Cambium contact: You have to have it.
If you do these two simple things right, almost all your persimmon grafts will take.

I’ve got some scions wrapped up in the fridge that I cut a while back that I’m planning on trying again. I’ve got a few volunteers that’s bout golf ball size that I was going to try on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve got some scions wrapped up in the fridge that I cut a while back that I’m planning on trying again. I’ve got a few volunteers that’s bout golf ball size that I was going to try on.
Bark grafting after the rootstock leaves out has been very successful for me. Keeping the scions healthy is big, too. I usually cut them as late as I can, and keep them in a ziploc with a barely moist paper towel in there with them. Not enough moisture and they dry out, too much and they mold and rot.
There are a couple really good bark grafting persimmon videos on YouTube.

sghoghunter

Bark grafting after the rootstock leaves out has been very successful for me. Keeping the scions healthy is big, too. I usually cut them as late as I can, and keep them in a ziploc with a barely moist paper towel in there with them. Not enough moisture and they dry out, too much and they mold and rot.
There are a couple really good bark grafting persimmon videos on YouTube.

The little patch of volunteers are starting to leaf out pretty good. All of these are female’s except one if I remember right. The farthest one is the one I’m wanting to try grafting on so I can keep it separate. Also would you thin half of these out or leave them like they are?

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpeg
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 5

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The little patch of volunteers are starting to leaf out pretty good. All of these are female’s except one if I remember right. The farthest one is the one I’m wanting to try grafting on so I can keep it separate. Also would you thin half of these out or leave them like they are?
I'd thin them out a bit. And let them leaf out more fully before you graft.