PSA AR15 22lr Upper

B. White

I thought I would ad this info, in case these uppers are ever back in stock and any of you consider if it is worth buying one. I think I have had more fun killing cans and targets with this thing than I imagined I would. I've had it about a year and a half and it was one of those guns I didn't really feel like I needed (like I really need anymore anyway) when I bought it, but it has turned out to be great. I put a dirt cheap Amazon red dot and flip up sights on it and it is murder on squirrel head size targets out to 50 yds.

I had a suppressor on order and it came in last month. I put a few cans out on a bank and the look on my wife's face was priceless as she emptied the first mag. It still has a good crack with standard ammo, but with the Aguila subs I can't hear much more than the hit on the can. I'm surprised that I am about as accurate with it as I am with a little CZ 455 with iron sights, considering the size of the red dot.

Since some say 22 semi autos have reliability issues due to the nature of the dirty ammo, I shot several hundred rounds without cleaning just to see what would happen. I had a couple of failures when it was new, but I have some ammo that is older than some who post here, so I wasn't very concerned. After about a hundred rounds and 3-4 problems I had no failures until 4-500 in and I changed ammo in a mag that caused it to not go into battery. Maybe a different bullet profile combined the buildup of powder and gunk? Loaded a couple of mags of the subs I had been shooting earlier and no issues. Decided to go ahead and clean it and the lower was full of all kind of gunk. I probably should have used a water hose, but sprayed it with ballistol and then let it drain for 24 hrs.

The design seems to keep the area around the firing pin and ejector fairly clean. Not much work to wipe it down when I took the bolt assy apart. The bolt disassembly is a little more tedious than an AR, due to two small pins and springs that need to come out. No harder really, just smaller. No carbon buildup to deal with.

I have not squirrel hunted much in recent years, probably mostly because I didn't want to go cause a bunch of racket in the woods close to deer season, but i am looking forward to taking this out and see if I can pop a few. It will be good for kids and grandkids to get them started and build confidence. My only concern would be if shooting suppressed with new shooters. No recoil and little sound could lead to a false sense of security and they may not appreciate what this little piece of lead can do to tissue.

1595196399901.png

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Love my PSA AR and am looking forward to getting a .22 upper ASAP...first one I’ve ever owned and never knew a gun could be so fun to shoot. .22 round prices would add to the fun for sure.

Last edited:

B. White

I should have added, I think I bought the CMMG brand mags to go with it. I also got a little plastic loader that looks close to this one. Dump a box of 50 rds in and insert mag. Squeeze trigger as fast as you can and mag is loaded. Well worth the money.

71BABSG-9xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JohnK

That's some crazy stuff...never heard of a 22lr upper. I guess I got to have one...I have some psa rifles. Thanks for the post.

JohnK

You mind sharing the specs on the one you bought? I want to get the same thing....it's tested. All they have right now seems to be pistols.

Buckhead

I have had great luck with PSA products. I have an AR15 lower with 2 uppers and a PA 10 complete build. Great value, good quality. Stock triggers aren’t that great, but easily remedied with a drop in.