Purple Paint Law...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
All land in Georgia is effectively considered “posted” as an operation of law. No reason to put purple paint up randomly to confuse the issue.
I know that hunting on the land of another without permission in GA does not require that the land be posted, but did the trespassing statutes change recently? Notice has always been required for that, I thought.

Possession of any firearm while trespassing is criminal trespassing and a felony along with any other things the arresting officer decides to add on.
Last time I looked this was not correct.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I know that hunting on the land of another without permission in GA does not require that the land be posted, but did the trespassing statutes change recently? Notice has always been required for that, I thought.

Last time I looked this was not correct.
No there is still only criminal trespass. I was assuming since we are a hunting/fishing board that’s what we were talking about primarily

Honestly I would be against being able to charge someone criminally for just being on someone’s property

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Honestly I would be against being able to charge someone criminally for just being on someone’s property
I used to agree with this but then the methheads started showing up. When they got my grandparent's farm bell and started stripping aluminum off the sides of an old trailer we used as a deer camp, I changed my mind.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I used to agree with this but then the methheads started showing up. When they got my grandparent's farm bell and started stripping aluminum off the sides of an old trailer we used as a deer camp, I changed my mind.
They were violating Georgias criminal trespass law that’s in place. Lowering the bar wouldn’t affect them

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I gotta catch them in the act and be able to prove the stealing for it to be criminal trespass. In the bell & siding cases, I knew who did it. All the neighbors knew who did it. The Sheriff knew who did it but we couldn't find the bell. If I had a deep enough hole, I wouldn't have minded the old oubliette treatment.

My aunt owned the property between me and them. She purchased the property they lived on for the sole purpose of clearing out the rat's nest. She removed every bit of evidence that they had ever been there. It was expensive but the improvement to the community was emense. I thanked her at least weekly for the rest of her life for cleaning up what we still refer to as Awful Acres.

Lilly001

It’s not a felony and shouldn’t be IMO
Being a Floridian, where the above is the law, and also owning land in Ga, where trespass is treated much less harshly, I am well aware of the diversity that different states treat the trespass issue with.
Ga has relatively weak trespass laws, but that is a product of the culture and their input to their legislators .

sleepr71

Possession of any firearm while trespassing is criminal trespassing and a felony along with any other things the arresting officer decides to add on.
I gotta catch them in the act and be able to prove the stealing for it to be criminal trespass. In the bell & siding cases, I knew who did it. All the neighbors knew who did it. The Sheriff knew who did it but we couldn't find the bell. If I had a deep enough hole, I wouldn't have minded the old oubliette treatment.

My aunt owned the property between me and them. She purchased the property they lived on for the sole purpose of clearing out the rat's nest. She removed every bit of evidence that they had ever been there. It was expensive but the improvement to the community was emense. I thanked her at least weekly for the rest of her life for cleaning up what we still refer to as Awful Acres.
Sometimes that’s the only way. When we bought the property+ homes next to us..they moved to Alabama. The local sherif deputies have told me THANK YOU..more than once! :rofl:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I own a 12 acre pond.
Took pictures of people fishing without permission, called the Game Warden, and the Warden told me he couldn't use my pictures to write them a ticket. He had to catch them himself.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I own a 12 acre pond.
Took pictures of people fishing without permission, called the Game Warden, and the Warden told me he couldn't use my pictures to write them a ticket. He had to catch them himself.
Did he tell them to not fish there anymore ?:rofl:

davel

I own a 12 acre pond.
He is incorrect. He can use the pictures as evidence if you agreed to testify.

Mike 65

Missouri has the purple paint law and the Leo’s will enforce it. They made believers out of a group from Texas that thought they were gonna hunt our place.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
To my understanding posted signs are considered a first warning. If non hunting trespassers are caught on posted property they can be charged. If the land is not visibly posted then they receive a warning for the first offense.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
To my understanding posted signs are considered a first warning. If non hunting trespassers are caught on posted property they can be charged. If the land is not visibly posted then they receive a warning for the first offense.
Is the first warning a shot into the dirt or over their heads?