Question about marriage

earl

Banned
There was marriage b4 there was a marriage license. In the old testament, it is reported that men sometimes had multiple wifes. There was no state involved. King David himself had multiple wifes. Was King David (who was reported as being favored by the Lord) living in sin? David's seed it is prophesized was to include the Messiah. If David had been living in sin would God favor him so? Abraham had a wife and took her handmaiden for a concubine. Was he then living in sin? Abraham's seed were to be blessed in God's eyes, He had his only legitimate child after he had fathered a child by his wifes handmaiden. It amazes me how some of u have such pat answers to questions such as posed by the OP when the bible is full of men who were favored by God that u would judge harsly as living in sin!

Now theres a head scratcher for you . Were in the bible did it change from being ok to have multiple wives to not being ok ? I have a hard time with the one I've got .:rofl:

Israel

BANNED
Genesis 24: 64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.
Genesis 24: 65 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.
Genesis 24: 66 And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done.
Genesis 24: 67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

ted_BSR

If a man from an isolated tribe in New Guinea pays the dowery of 20 pigs, 5 gallons of grog, and 10 bows with a 100 arrows to the father of his bride, and takes her hand at the ceremony, are they married in the eyes of God? Say it is his third wife. Are we splitting hairs, or does God know your heart?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A couple takes their marriage vows in a totally secular setting, no preacher, no church, no prayer, just the minumum requirements by the state to be married.

In the eyes of God , and the church (broad term) are they married the same as if the ceremony was performed by a minister, in a church, with religous music and prayer?

10 years later. Any new thoughts?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I think so. I believe it is more a commitment that a man and woman make to eachother and to God. Don't need a minister or church to do that. Only the state requires that you go to the courthouse.
Just another way to get revenue.

Madman

A couple takes their marriage vows in a totally secular setting, no preacher, no church, no prayer, just the minumum requirements by the state to be married.

In the eyes of God , and the church (broad term) are they married the same as if the ceremony was performed by a minister, in a church, with religous music and prayer?

Yes so long as the man and woman may be lawfully married. If both are baptized then it will be a sacramental marriage, if one or both are not baptized it will not be a sacramental marriage.

The man are woman are the "officiants" in a marriage ceremony, every one else are just witnesses.

Madman

I'm not here to argue the merits of it. The question was whether they are married in the eyes of the Christian God or the Christian church. The answer is no.
I can't speak specifically for God but I do know that the church has taught for 2000+ years, that the answer is yes.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I can't speak specifically for God but I do know that the church has taught for 2000+ years, that the answer is yes.

Are you answering the question in the OP or something else?