Question?

Blackston

I know there is gunsmithing group , but I’ve visited before and asked a question didn’t get much traction or response…This is deer hunting related so…… Already thinking about little man getting ready for next year So here’s the question? This is the rifle I’m gonna start him on this 243 kills everything it’s ever shot at , but it’s to big ….. I’ve looked for a compact stock for it couldn’t really find a straight answer on what would fit it …. Do y’all think the stock could be cut down? I’m pretty handy I’m thinkin I could do it myself? Any body got any experience? F0FEC8C3-22E9-4C33-B04A-85883154E2EA.jpeg

JROESEL

I don’t know about the gun, but I’m sure it can be done, I will say, buy some sub sonic ammo for it, the gun won’t hardly kick or make a noise, that’s what my daughter is shooting in 308, and she loves it, she’s 8
Be careful cutting the butt down, that looks like a bull barrel, it could make it nose heavy

chrislibby88

It depends on the stock material. If it is solid or mostly solid liquid polymer/fiberglass then you can easily cut it down, just redrill the holes to screw on the recoil pas. If it’s that cheap hollow plastic crap then it will be more trouble but you still can, you’ll probably just need to backfill the voids with an epoxy resin (which will also help balance the gun, you could even throw some lead weights in there to really balance it out) let that set, then resurface and drill holes for the recoil pad. Might have to bust out some round files and reshape the shoulder end of the cheek riser, just depends on how much you cut off.

Blackston

It depends on the stock material. If it is solid or mostly solid liquid polymer/fiberglass then you can easily cut it down, just redrill the holes to screw on the recoil pas. If it’s that cheap hollow plastic crap then it will be more trouble but you still can, you’ll probably just need to backfill the voids with an epoxy resin (which will also help balance the gun, you could even throw some lead weights in there to really balance it out) let that set, then resurface and drill holes for the recoil pad. Might have to bust out some round files and reshape the shoulder end of the cheek riser, just depends on how much you cut off.
It seems to be pretty stout when I knock on it …. The way prices of things are a new rifle ain’t in the budget and this gun is deer poison …. I think Imma give it a go

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I don’t have an answer but following because I’m interested in the outcome. I might have a similar situation.

buckpasser

You’re my friend, and I’m not gonna try to change your mind, but…

Get that boy an AR in .300 blk and let him graduate to the .243 after a few seasons! If you do, you’ll find yourself using the BLK with or without him. Also, with a name like BLACKston! Dude! You gotta do it. I’ll spot you a C note on it.

shootemall

I'd keep youngsters on a gun they can handle, like a .22, going after squirrels, and wait until they could handle the deer rifle as is. I've got several kids, and they'll grow up quick, and in their teens and twenties they won't want to carry a Frankenstein rifle that was altered for them as an 8 year old.

Lonegle57

The gun looks like a CVA Stalker?? Dont know how much you want to cut off.
Might give CVA a call or e-mail and see if they have a youth stock. Had a couple of the Stalkers, believe CVA is in Ga. Thought I needed longer firing pins, that is another story. I have a different gun that was hollow plastic and cut off stock, filled it with a piece of wood, screwed in and then a recoil pad, works for me.

Hunter922

Only as a last resort would I alter an existing rifle that is a dead shot as is.
Reduced recoil ammo is a start. I would wait til after the holidays and and see if you can get a price that's more acceptable.

JROESEL

I will say this, because I’ve seen the little blackston your talking about in many pictures, I started my daughter with a BB gun, then 22, then 243, at the age of 6, she absolutely hated the 243, the gun recoil and kick, that was even in a lead sled, she shot one buck with a 223 rifle, I bought her the Ruger American shooting 308 sub sonic this year, (she just turned 8, weighs 56lbs) she asks to shoot every day, and she’s deadly with it out to a 100 yards, she just shot a 200lb 8 pointer and he ran 40 yards with the sub sonic, she can shoot that gun the rest of her life if she wants to, I’ll post a picture of the gun, she doesn’t have the suppressor yet, still waiting on stamp

Attachments

• 60B77ED5-39AE-4361-8EC9-08292067401E.jpeg
    60B77ED5-39AE-4361-8EC9-08292067401E.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 0041C2A2-4270-4EFD-99F4-0A957A0794C9.jpeg
    0041C2A2-4270-4EFD-99F4-0A957A0794C9.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Blackston

W
I will say this, because I’ve seen the little blackston your talking about in many pictures, I started my daughter with a BB gun, then 22, then 243, at the age of 6, she absolutely hated the 243, the gun recoil and kick, that was even in a lead sled, she shot one buck with a 223 rifle, I bought her the Ruger American shooting 308 sub sonic this year, (she just turned 8, weighs 56lbs) she asks to shoot every day, and she’s deadly with it out to a 100 yards, she just shot a 200lb 8 pointer and he ran 40 yards with the sub sonic, she can shoot that gun the rest of her life if she wants to, I’ll post a picture of the gun, she doesn’t have the suppressor yet, still waiting on stamp
Well u just answered my next question… I have a 308 patriot and they make “ bantam” stock for it , I’m considering ordering the stock ( it’s 70$) and trying the light recoil ammo …. Lil man is gettin a cricket 22 fit Christmas I’m just thinking about what we will use come next deer season