Quiet bino harness?

chrislibby88

Do y’all know of any quiet bino harnesses? I currently have a Marsupial, and a Kuiu. Bought the Kuiu cause they were supposedly quieter. It really isn’t though. It’s my wife’s now. The Marsupial is great, nice fit for my binos, low profile- it’s really slim against your chest, pockets in the right places. I’ve got all the buckles and plastic snaps wrapped in Coban tape to silence them, but the fabric is rather loud when you rub against it (same with the Kuiu) and the magnetic lid on the marsupial can snap closed if you don’t close it carefully. Y’all know how loud stuff like this is on a dead quiet day in the tree.
I’m aware of the Rick Young and similar style harnesses, however, I like having a pocket for my range finder, windicator or milkweed (I actually use the seed tufts from saltbush, they seed out in the fall).

I though about running the Rick young strap and a Fanny pack, but I wear a rock climbing waist harness in the tree, so I don’t want anything on my waist interfering with that, and I prefer all my stuff on my chest. Keeps movement minimal.

Y’all got any suggestions?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Do y’all know of any quiet bino harnesses? I currently have a Marsupial, and a Kuiu. Bought the Kuiu cause they were supposedly quieter. It really isn’t though. It’s my wife’s now. The Marsupial is great, nice fit for my binos, low profile- it’s really slim against your chest, pockets in the right places. I’ve got all the buckles and plastic snaps wrapped in Coban tape to silence them, but the fabric is rather loud when you rub against it (same with the Kuiu) and the magnetic lid on the marsupial can snap closed if you don’t close it carefully. Y’all know how loud stuff like this is on a dead quiet day in the tree.
I’m aware of the Rick Young and similar style harnesses, however, I like having a pocket for my range finder, windicator or milkweed (I actually use the seed tufts from saltbush, they seed out in the fall).

I though about running the Rick young strap and a Fanny pack, but I wear a rock climbing waist harness in the tree, so I don’t want anything on my waist interfering with that, and I prefer all my stuff on my chest. Keeps movement minimal.

Y’all got any suggestions?
I think you're overthinking it. What are you rubbing on your marsupial that's so loud?

menhadenman

Love my AGC but my buddy’s Adak looks slick.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
:unsure:
Never heard a peep out of mine...
I also have a cover that wraps around behind my back that they pop out of... but rarly use it.
Mine are camo...

Screenshot_20231019_212748_Chrome.jpg

chrislibby88

I think you're overthinking it. What are you rubbing on your marsupial that's so loud?
Mainly just the lid magnets smacking shut if I close it carelessly or it slips while I’m shutting it. I will often keep it open, but I keep a silicone pouch in the front pocket with milkweed in it so I have to shut the lid to access it. All the plastic buckles and clasps on the lanyards can make noise clicking together, doesn’t do it often, it just has happened before, but I cured that with some coban tape. Compared to my clothing the fabric just swishes really loud.

Maybe I am overthinking it, and I haven’t yet spooked a deer in front of me because of my harness. I have let the lid close hard and the smack has echoed through the woods. I cringe when I do that. I’m just curious if anyone makes one out of a quieter fabric.

Last edited:

ASH556

I have and love the Kuiu. When set in the tree I open the Bino flap and leave it open. Binos in and out is silent. Similar with rangefinder: I open the pouch and tuck the lid open behind the strap. Rangefinder in and out is silent.

chrislibby88

Love my AGC but my buddy’s Adak looks slick.

What’s the face fabric? Cordura?

ddd-shooter

Mainly just the lid magnets smacking shut if I close it carelessly or it slips while I’m shutting it. I will often keep it open, but I keep a silicone pouch in the front pocket with milkweed in it so I have to shut the lid to access it. All the plastic buckles and clasps on the lanyards can make noise clicking together, doesn’t do it often, it just has happened before, but I cured that with some coban tape. Compared to my clothing the fabric just swishes really loud.

Maybe I am overthinking it, and I haven’t yet spooked a deer in front of me because of my harness. I have let the lid close hard and the smack has echoed through the woods. I cringe when I do that. I’m just curious if anyone makes one out of a quieter fabric.
They just released an updated version of the nomag style case. I’d try that

Badlands binocular harness is pretty decent but it too makes that magnet snapping noise. I do the same as you when that happens. I do feel you might be just a touch over thinking it. Don’t think there is a perfect one. I do as mentioned above leave it open and I hang mine on a carabiner, or off my bow hanger..

Last edited:

Kris87

I have and love the Kuiu. When set in the tree I open the Bino flap and leave it open. Binos in and out is silent. Similar with rangefinder: I open the pouch and tuck the lid open behind the strap. Rangefinder in and out is silent.

Me too. I have the Pro, not sure if there's more than one Kuiu harness. I always leave mine open. I have a magnet on the upper right shoulder strap where my rangefinder is attached, and another magnet that holds my grunt tube on the bottom left. I can't sit without my harness on as all my gear is centered around it.

ASH556

Kris, can you share a pic of yours? Trying to understand the magnets.

ddd-shooter

Get a squeeze bottle and fill with corn starch, then place in side pouch next to binos. I leave my pouch open all the time-except for snack time

ssramage

I upgraded to an FHF gear bino harness last year and have really liked it. Keeps my binos close to my chest and I've never noticed it being loud. The lid is held down by a bungee strap that you have to adjust the tension on for your particular binos. As long as you don't let that strap "snap" off the hook when undoing it, it's basically silent.

I upgraded to an FHF gear bino harness last year and have really liked it. Keeps my binos close to my chest and I've never noticed it being loud. The lid is held down by a bungee strap that you have to adjust the tension on for your particular binos. As long as you don't let that strap "snap" off the hook when undoing it, it's basically silent.
That looks like a nice harness . Time you upgrade to the air harness and shoulder pads be quiet pricy

ssramage

That looks like a nice harness . Time you upgrade to the air harness and shoulder pads be quiet pricy

I have the plain Pro-M harness. For GA hunting, it is more than plenty. I wouldn't add all that other stuff unless I was carrying BIG binos out west for miles and miles. It's lightweight and keeps things very secure. If I'm in the woods, it's on my chest and I don't even know it's there.

Honestly, I bought mine used for about $70 I think off another forum and have been more than impressed.

chrislibby88

Get a squeeze bottle and fill with corn starch, then place in side pouch next to binos. I leave my pouch open all the time-except for snack time
I like the powder windicator when I’m stalking, but I prefer milkweed or saltbush when I’m in the stand. You can watch it float for 20-40 yards depending on the wind speed and thermals. I keep it in a flat silicone coin purse that won’t fit in the side pockets.

Kris87

If I remember tonight when I'm in basement, I'll snap a pic. I have two of those magnets that pull apart attached to a metal key ring. I feed the bino harness straps through the key ring so it slides up and down the straps. Tie a small piece of d-loop onto one end of the magnets and then attach to my rangefinder and grunt tube. It works much better than those gizmos with the retractable lanyard things.

Kris87

So I keep my rangefinder on my right since I need it in last minute scenarios. I only use the magnet here so I can remove it for other uses. The grunt tube I keep on the left, and I put a little slack in the harness adjustment to make a loop so it'll sit in there out of the way. It would hang loosely fine, but I like it this way.

Just think about what all you need in a situation and how you can access it quickly. That's what I do with all my gear. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_221431138.jpg
    PXL_20231023_221431138.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20231023_221443221.jpg
    PXL_20231023_221443221.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 34