Range Report, Sig P250, Walther PPS, Taurus 44 Special, Keltec P11 and H&R Trapdoor

Sharps40

Range Report, Sig P250, Walther PPS, Taurus 44 Special, Keltec P11 and H&R Trapdoor

:shoot:Back from the range and working out with all the new ones I got here or on other sites. In summary, all but one are keepers and the one in question would be a difficult choice to trade off. All shots were taken off hand and about as fast as I can prep the trigger as it crosses the bull. 4 handguns left a ragged 4" hole in the target at 15 meters and the 100 rounds thru the rifle off hand left a 3" hole at 25 meters. For those w/Sig P250, Walther PPS or Keltec concerns, here go's...

:biggrin2:Sig P250 Compact 9mm Two Tone with Siglite sights: Perfect function with 150 rounds of mixed FMJ and Hollow point reloads. All loads were capped with the hard CCI primers. This Sig had the factory trigger replaced with the short trigger, no other mods, never before fired. This Sig was only very lightly lubed before heading out. Perfect function, rounds in and out, mag drops fast, trigger is long but the complaints about the reset are (in my opinion) not applicable to the average Joe looking to protect himself and the house. The gentle recoil automatically leads you to let the trigger forward to reset. About the best DAO trigger I have feathered back, you can stack it up and realign for let off with ease. Yes, the trigger well gets a bit warm in rapid fire, not bothersome though. It took about 50+ rounds w/out a break to warm it up. The grip with the short trigger is for me so good that I sold all my Glocks. And, the accuracy, very nice! Opinion: I'd carry this one anywhere and buy another at any time.

:cool:Walther PPS 40: New, unfired. Again, break in was lightly lubed and with CCI Primed FMJ reloads. What an awesome get off me gun! 49 rounds with no mechanical failures at all. I did have one failure to reset trigger, contrary to the instructions, I used the slide release instead of racking. Rack it and it feeds and resets the trigger every time. The magazines are heck to get the last round in. I'll have to fill them up and let them sit a while. Accuracy, spot on at 15 meters and I can't believe nubby dot sights and a 3 odd inch barrel can do so well. Recoil was, suprizingly, not much more than the 9mm's I own. But I did note it flips higher than any 9mm, including my Keltec P11. The trigger is like a Glock and breaks clean and crisp, you can also stack this one and realign to let off. The magazine release takes a bit (about two trys) to get used to, but then you automatically find your trigger finger dropping the mag. Mags fall clear quite fast to. Opinion: I love it and as soon as I can sell some of the kids I'll buy a spare magazine or two.

:rolleyes:Taurus 44 Special, Snub nose, bobbed hammer, 5 Shot, used: The load here is 240g LSWC and a moderate+ charge of Power Pistol with hard CCI primers. Just as accurate as the two autos above and not near as much recoil as the Charter Bull Dog I used to have. Not a pleasure to shoot in long sessions, 50 rounds is plenty but with the rubber grips its controlable. Cylinder movement is a bit stiff so I think polishing the guts is in order but a bit of lube on this used revolver may be all it needs. I was able to stack the trigger for let off - its stiff enough the pull is a bit harder in the first half than in the last half. Not quite what I expected. I suspect this one could also benefit from a reduced power trigger return spring. I did find out, reloads in this and the Charter Bull Dog better be heavily crimped to keep from tieing up the cylinder on shot 4 or 5. Opinion: Just what I've always expected from Taurus, solid, reliable, reasonably accurate and a good value for the money. I'll continue to buy them.

:shoot:Keltec P11 9mm, Nickle slide w/blue frame: I bought this one new on a goof. I was looking for a deep hide out in a major caliber. Didn't know anything about Keltec other than that they used to be Grendal of the 30 shot 22 Mag pistol fame. Well, the P11 continues to suprize me. I fired another 100 in it today, same loads as the Sig above. In 400 rounds, uncleaned, light lube, it has never hiccupped, misfed, failed to fire, or failed to eject. This gun is 100% reliable with FMJ and Hollow points from 115g to 147g. It is accurate and the super heavy trigger? Suprizingly, you'll get used to it! I can shoot it slightly fast and roll cans or tear up the bullseye. The recoil can be very snappy, straight back and stings the palm pretty good, especially in long sessions. That said, you'll get used to it. If I have any complaint at all, the grip is too much like a Glock (big diameter) to fit my hand well. Additionally, it is very difficult to shoot this one with BlackHawk Solag Kevlar gloves on. The trigger guard just ain't big enough. Opinion: I may keep it, it is a wonderful piece for the money and totally reliable. It just perks along with no complaints about being dirty. If I were to trade it off, it might only be towards a Sig P250 Sub Compact in 9mm.

:love:And the H&R Officers Model Trap Door 45-70 I got from the old S&S: Looks great, shoots great, sort of like driving an old restored car, everyone wants to see it. 100 rounds with hand cast 405g lead flat nose bullets and charges of IMR 4895 were fired off hand at 25 meters. I've got a pretty red shoulder but the gun is sup:love:er reliable and more than accurate enough to start moving back to 75 and 100 meters for deer season practice. The pewter foreend and fancy wood don't hurt either. Overall, the weapon is light and the recoil is about like a 20g slug, maybe a bit less. The sear had some damage when I got it, looked like it had been attacked with a file. But a bit of stone work to reshape the nose and it has a crisp 4lb break. Sure does kick the shells out nice, they fly back about 3 feet and stack up in a nice pile. I'll know where to look in the leaves this fall for the spent shell. Opinion: If you can find one of these in shooting condition, it should beat the devil out of trying to fix-er-up an original springfield. I think I'll have to look around for one of these H&Rs with a long barrel.

Happy Independence Day. Stay Sober and pray for our Troops.

Last edited:

JerBla

Does sound like fun, I put afew rounds thru my shotgun earlier today. Just had to shoot something.

Sharps40

Me too. Been on the road almost non stop for two months. Got all the guns just before I left and you know...kinda like a bad craving, only, worse!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I love my P250! Its a great CCW piece for summertime carry....I have put 950 rounds of mix FMJ and HP and never had a problem.

I am getting a Springfield Armory Loaded .45 on Tuesday, to add to the stable along with my Springfield XD in .45....a man can never have to many .45 pistols.

JerBla

Me too. Been on the road almost non stop for two months. Got all the guns just before I left and you know...kinda like a bad craving, only, worse!
Oh yeah, for me tho its coming home and looking at them sitting there just waiting to be shot. Hopefully with my time off Ill get a chance to shoot with some freinds.
I love my P250! Its a great CCW piece for summertime carry....I have put 950 rounds of mix FMJ and HP and never had a problem.

I am getting a Springfield Armory Loaded .45 on Tuesday, to add to the stable along with my Springfield XD in .45....a man can never have to many .45 pistols.

My 250s been a champ too, I done some work to it but still have more to do. Thinking about doing a melt job on the slide and frame. How do you like your XD? I shot one awhile ago and didnt care for it too much. Let us know how the loaded goes.

Attachments

• sig250polished003.jpg
    sig250polished003.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 821
  • sig250polished004.jpg
    sig250polished004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 805
  • sig250polished001.jpg
    sig250polished001.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 804
  • sig250polished002.jpg
    sig250polished002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 823

Sharps40

X2 on the 1911. We used to use the Springfields for testing in one of the labs. That one got shot a lot and cleaned a little. It always worked 100%. I have a Para Ord alloy frame P12. Its a real shooter, the only changes were trigger job for 4lbs and a Wilson trigger. I like it with the 230g Hydrashok. I've been slowly switching to all DAO automatics or at least automatics w/o a safety and the Sig P250 and Walther PPS are real impressive so far. Been thinking about making the switch from the 1911 to a DAO in .45 ACP...but this is the last 1911 in the stable and its been a good friend. I guess the itch will get the better of me one day.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I really like the XD, my only problem with it is that it is rather large to be trying to CCW in the summer....no problem in the fall/winter, but its kinda hard to hide in a t-shirt and cargo shorts. If I am in the woods I tote it cause nothing will end a disagreement faster than 13 rounds of .45. Its accurate and I haven't had any FTF or FTE with it in the 1000 rounds I have put through it.

My buddy has the Springfield and he let me shoot it last week and it flung a craving on me something terrible.

Sharps40

Yep, Springfields a goodie. Some of the older Auto Ordnances are pretty good too. Shop around, you'll find one and fall in love with it. As much as I want to get away from safetys and decockers, I still can't quite make the decision to pass on the 1911.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Yep, Springfields a goodie. Some of the older Auto Ordnances are pretty good too. Shop around, you'll find one and fall in love with it. As much as I want to get away from safetys and decockers, I still can't quite make the decision to pass on the 1911.

I have a stock GI model Auto Ordinance that I bought in 1992, good shootin gun, I had probelms with it feeding HP's at first but with some minor polishing and tweaking of the mags it runs good now.

It was my first personal 1911 the other being issued to me by Uncle Sam...until the .gov decided to switch to the M9... it was a sad day when we had to turn in them old warhorses.

It will not ever be sold or traded since it saved my life in 1994.

EMC-GUN

Try 13gr. 2400 under a 250gr. cast bullet in that .44 special....I just shot some of them out of my Taurus .44 special and they do very well!