Rat Terriers as Squirrel Dogs?

DelphicSharpShot

I'm looking at getting a rat terrier pup for my family and was wondering if they could be trained as good squirrel dogs. Could the same rat terrier also be trained to track deer too?

I have never had a hunting dog and don't know a lot about it but you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks all,
Branden Johnson

Corey

Just go ahead and get a Feist, they looking alot like
Rats but were breed to hunt. They make good pets
to.

CJ

HayabusaTygr

A rat terrier is a feist (or originally was).

"The first Rat Terriers (Feist) were exclusively black and tan colored, their ears buttoned over and they were approximately 18lbs, of medium size. The breed quickly established itself as an excellent ratter and small game hunter."

Corey

Maybe but over they years Rats became more show
dogs and the hunt got breed out of them, dont get me
wrong there are some out there that will still do what
they started doing but most now days dont. Just my 2
cent's get what you like but better to get a dogs that
is from hunting stock if thats what you want it to do
it will save you alot of head achs trust me I know before
I got feist I had a Jack and tried to teach him to hunt but
I found out quick you cant teach a dog to hunt they have
it or they dont.

Corey

Nga.

To answer your question. I raise Rats and Feist. My Rats 1 out of 10 will be a solid tree dog, All will catch and kill squirrel on the ground along with everything else. If your Family is wanting a Rat it could be thought to track deer very well but treeing squirrels is going to be a shot in the dark. Like Corey said if your wanting a good all around hunting pet in the same package a well bred feist would be the way to go.

HayabusaTygr

I suppose rats vs. feist are like almost every other smaller dog breed - seems that the "hunt" has been bred out of them to make them better/calmer housepets (i.e. most cocker spaniels and smaller spaniels, etc.) I know I've run into some pretty darn good rodent hunters that were rats :)

hevishot

Banned
freeze some blood and hyde to train all season with...let the dog "track" every deer you shoot even if you know where the deer is laying. Smart dog will get the idea pretty quickly.

olroy

agree

i agree with NGA and Corey. if you want a tree dog in a small package (feist ) is it. i have also had Rats and they do tree once in a while.