re-register

H

HT2

But, Here's the question..........

How long is it gonna be before it "CHRASHES" again??????????? ::huh:

This "chrashing" deal happens way to often...... :banginghe :banginghe

Arrow Flinger

Just send Woody an email and he will refund everyone's money that is not happy with the site. Woody is a just a good ole boy Taxidermist that is providing this site at HIS expense and not some IT whiz. He is doing his best to keep this thing up and running good but there will be problems.

(Edited by Arrow Flinger after calming down)

TurkeyCreek

Arrow Flinger said:
Just send Woody an email and he will refund everyone's money that is not happy with the site.

:clap: Well said!!!!

H

HT2

Flinger.....

If you got somethin' to say.....

Just "PM" me........

I said it once......

I ain't slammin' it........I just prefer the old style......If I can't say that........Then maybe it's time I let ya'll have it.......

If people can voice their opinions of liking it.......Why is it that I can't voice my opinion of not liking it????? ::huh:

That will be the last time I'll say anything........I don't want you to get your feathers all "ruffled"........

Of course you'll probably "edit" this........"MODS" have that privilege....... :eek:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
HT2,

I believe the problem is that you did not mention anything about the new format in your post.

You did indicated that you were upset, apparently at the management, that it crashes on occasion.

We are all a bit s**** shocked. Crashing is not fun for any of us. However, there is nothing we can do but let it go and move on.

Skipper

Banned
Just a few words for what they are worth.

Re backing up the data: Yes, it should have been done a little better than it was. That said, some of you have no idea how large this site is and how much data it creates. My site is much much smaller, and still has about 150 megs in the database. I would venture a guess that this one is on the order of 2 gigs when it gets filled up with 150,000 posts. Even with a DSL line, it would take a while to have backed up that database. It takes me about 30 minutes to backup mine. I'm guessing about an hour and a half, maybe more. Furthermore, reloading it is a major pain in the tail. I've only attempted to reload mine once after a failure and it took almost 2 days to do it. The server I'm on has a limit set on it as to how much data it will allow to be loaded at a time, and I ended up having to reload such things as Avatars and uploaded photographs 1 or 2 at a time to keep from overloading the thing. I know that 150 megs isn't much, but in regards to text data, it's a lot. With Woody being about 20 times the size of my site, that figure would be huge.

One problem is, the site has to be shut down while downloading the data or it will be corrupt and won't work for a restore. How many would be moaning and groaning when the site was shut down for a couple hours for a backup?

I've been around these things for a long time, and the only time I ever made any money from them was back in the Alloutdoors days. Things have changed. Advertisers don't want to pay for impressions, they want to pay for purchases while at the same time, host services want owners to pay for impressions or bandwidth. For example, the B*** Pro ad on my site only pays when someone purchases with the click through. If they click through, look at the product, check out all the features and such, then call 1-800 B*** Pro to buy it, I don't get a thing. Woody has provided this board basically free of charge to us and make no misteak, he's paying a good chunk for hosting with the amount of bandwidth the site consumes. While I realize that it's advertisement for his business, I also realize that as big as it has become, it's likely more of an outflow than it's worth to him for that purpose.

I also know what it takes to keep one of these things running. I spend entirely too much time working on mine trying to keep the content fresh, the system going, and other tasks that have to be done. I respect anyone who is willing to donate their time for such an endeavor. Personally, other than selling a couple of articles and photos from my site, I've not made dime one out of it. Counting the hosting and software costs into it, it's not even close to breaking even. I put mine up simply because I got tired of being stiffed by a few magazines that I'd sold articles to and didn't get paid for. Basically, I decided if I was going to publish articles for free, I'd do it in my own magazine and not someone else's. I found Woodys site when i was searching for software. It was one that the vendor referred me to as an example. I've enjoyed Woodys since then and continue to. I do think the new package will be a lot better and cause less problems than what they were having, but it will take a little getting used to.

Skipper

H

HT2

Jeff....

My apologies for not being more clear on the specifics........

I'm movin' on and won't say anything else...... :)

Buzz

Skipper - we back up databases all the time that are up to 100 GB and we do not take them down. There are ways. This type of data (Text) is highly compressable and 2 GB worth of data will compress down to 150 mb or so. I am not familiar with what level of service that Woody's contract is for, but typically the person providing the hosting is responsible for creating data backups. It could also be as simple as burning the entire database to a DVD once per week.

Arrow Flinger - the point was WOODY should be upset that he is paying money for this service and they lose his data, not us because as you have said we are not paying a cent for this. As Skipper has said sites like this can cost a chunk for hosting and I would expect better service from my provider if I were paying the bill.

dbodkin

No sweat to take a few seconds & re-register

D

Data tech

Backup

here is a quick and easy back for the MySQL database
you need a program called putty what this does when you connect is dumps your Database very quickly into a backup from MySQL
You will need telnet or SSH access to the server

here is the command to enter once you are logged in

mysqldump -h servername -u dbusername -p databasename > /path/to/backupname.sql

this will dump the database backup to a folder that you select then you can download that file to your desktop or to a CDR
you will not have to shut down the forum to do this it happens quick since it is a MySQL dump
When you download the file you will not have to shutdown the forum either(just find someone with a fast download to do the backup)

If this will let me post HTML code I will give you all A few more ideas
open admincp
select usergroups
click mods
find Username HTML Markup add this in first box <span title="Moderator" style="COLOR: #000000"><b> in the second box add this </b></span>

This will bold the mods name and the mouse over will display Moderator or you can change it if you like
Just ask and see what else I can help with!!!!

Also if need be just give me a pm and I can send my number for you to call me
Thanks
Jon

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
thanks for the info Data, as we have the time we will make many changes and yours and Skippers info will help.

Jim