Recipe ideas for roast

UGAff

looking for a good recipe for my boneless roasts....

any ideas?

dixie

I like to just crock pot them with some potatos, onions, and a few carrots. I'll also put two beef bullion cubes under the roast.

woody116

I got a great one for sweet and sour roast. Dont have it here though, I will try to remember to post again tonight.

Got a mixture of brown sugar, vinegar and I dont remember what else. Me and my boys scarf that one down.

centerc

1 Can Of French Onion Soup 2 Cans Water 1/4 To 1/2 Cup Flour Put In Crock Pot Cook All Day Also Works For Deer Or Pork.makes A Good Gravy

dutchman

I do a blackened pot roast.

1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 tsp Paul Prudhomme's blackened steak magic

Mix these dry ingredients together. Sprinkle the mixture onto a 2-3 lb roast and rub in.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a dutch over. Sear (blacken) the roast on both sides. This will make quite a bit of smoke, so be prepared for it.

When roast has been seared, add at least 2 cups of water (I add 3 'cause I like lots of gravy) to the dutch oven and one diced medium-large onion. Allow this to come to a boil, reduce heat to maintain slow boil and cook for 90 minutes. Add quartered potatoes, baby carrots and about one rib of celery (optional). Salt and pepper to taste. I usually add about 2 tsp of salt myself, but my wife is never satisfied with this so she adds more at the table. Potatoes take lots of salt. Cook for 60 additional minutes.

Serve with your favorite bread and butter. Should feed about 4-6 normal people. Will only feed one North Georgia Mountain Man, maybe 2. ::ke:

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dutch, go ahead and put my name on the "gotta have" list if you ever write a recipe book. :D I`ll pay cash or make a trade with you for a signed copy! Goin` to get the material right now to try that one there. It do look fitten to eat! :clap:

dutchman

nicodemus said:
Dutch, go ahead and put my name on the "gotta have" list if you ever write a recipe book. :D I`ll pay cash or make a trade with you for a signed copy! Goin` to get the material right now to try that one there. It do look fitten to eat! :clap:

Nic, it'll make you the most popular feller at the deer camp. Until you run out of it!

goatman

Roast

I like to brown my roast first.

Flour the roast and brown in oil in a skillet.
Put in a slow cooker with some water,potatoes,carrots,sweet potatoes and onion. Sprinkle salt,pepper and put some worcestershire sauce in. Let it cook all day.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hey Dutch, that recipe made the best pot roast I`ve ever had! Many thanks for the recipe. :fine:

dutchman

nicodemus said:
Hey Dutch, that recipe made the best pot roast I`ve ever had! Many thanks for the recipe. :fine:

Glad to hear it turned out for you. :)

Last edited:

woody116

Sorry, I forgot I was going to post this until I was cooking it for tonite.

Sweet & Sour Venison
3 pound venison roast
6 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup of water

In a dutch oven, sear meat on all sides in hot oil. Combine salt, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar to make a thick paste and spread paste all over roast. Carefully pour water into bottom of the pan. Cover roast and bake at 350 for 2-3 hours, or until meat loses all pink color. Baste frequently with pan drippings, adding more water if needed. Serves 6

serves 6 part doesnt fly in my house, usually three. I also make a gravy out of the juices. MMmmmmmm............

UGAff

now that sounds good!

RBBTBONE

alright fellos and fellas im cooking a hind quarter for our cub scout pack this thursday and have one good method but id like to see what u guys and gals have come up with always up for something different

UGAff

Woody116, can you do that recipe with a crock pot instead of a dutch oven?

woody116

yep. I dont exactly know what a dutch oven is, so I just use a covered roasting pan.
But I am 99% sure that I did it in the crockpot the first time I made it.

UGAff

great. yeah - what is a dutch oven anyways? haha. Thanks again!