Remmy 700 stock question????

Niner

I bought a new Remington SPS stock for my 7mm-08 CDL (to save that stock from hunting dings, etc).

The SPS stock has “nubbins” at the end that supports the barrel. The CLD stock is free floating.
The SPS stock is free-floating with the exception of these “nubbins”.
I considered just taking my dremel out and “de-nubbing” this stock, but figured I’d shoot it first.
Well, it IS hitting the target, but not M.O.A., ….more like M.O.D. (minute of deer). I took my OLD Winny M70 (30-06)along and she was still printing quarter sized groups just like always.

I imagine I still need to work on “the load” for this rifle, but I sure wish I would hit better.
Y’all think “de-nubbing” the forend would help or hurt?

Attachments

• IMG_0009a.JPG
    IMG_0009a.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 190

Ga-Bullet

It Will helps Most of Them. I'd Remove them, Shoot it and Bed If needed. Be shore the action Screws are Torqued and Nothing Is Binding.

Hammack

Take them out. I have cut out a ton of those things. I have tried bedding a few but you will wind up having to drill some holes for the beding material to "lock" into. Those plastic Remington stocks are extremely tough to get bedding material to stick to.

gblrklr

I was just about to post the same question about my son's 700 ADL youth model. If they don't affect accuracy in a good way, why does Remington have them included?

Lorren68

most factory rifles are expected to work with a wide range of loads by putting the "nubbins" in this pressure beds the barrel to help the rifle be consitent with a wide varity of loads, this is one reason the rifle will usually shoot one manufactures load better than another, the pressure bedding affects the harmonics of the barrel during the shot, also changing bullet weight, and/or velocity will affect barrel harmonics. This is one of the main resons for trying various loads to find the one your gun likes

Flatone

I have a 700 XCR.. it had the nubbin's and I filed them down and floated the barrel. I think it shoots better on the bag.. but you can really twist and torque the stock now...