Reverse sear backstrap

menhadenman

A buddy of mine - 15 years my junior - turned me onto reverse sear for whitetail back straps, basically cutting them in half. This is one from a small doe my middle boy (9) shot the other day.

1. Set the oven to 250.

2. Drizzle some olive oil and season to your liking. I used the Montreal steak seasoning here.

3. Set directly on the rack with a catch pan so your wife doesn’t kill you.

9009361F-DB70-4ACE-8F9F-8674F4FA027B.jpeg

4. Cook until the internal temp is about ten degrees from where you want it to finish. My kids and I prefer rare or medium rare so we normally shoot for 120ish. This took about 35 minutes for this cut but may take 45 for bigger ones.

5. Get a cast iron sizzling hot (8) with grease of your choice. I used bacon grease here - butter is a bad choice because it burns at the high heat.

AE48F5F8-247B-4F7F-9828-6A469A0414CD.jpeg

6. Flip back and forth about every 30-60 seconds until it looks about right.

61E97D40-DD3B-4077-8356-63B9472334B0.jpeg

7. Let it sit for a little then get after it.

B0C458FF-602A-4305-9256-FCB9AB03657E.jpeg

Give it a try. It “pairs well” with canned beer ;).

ilbcnu

A buddy of mine - 15 years my junior - turned me onto reverse sear for whitetail back straps, basically cutting them in half. This is one from a small doe my middle boy (9) shot the other day.

1. Set the oven to 250.

2. Drizzle some olive oil and season to your liking. I used the Montreal steak seasoning here.

View attachment 1195989

4. Cook until the internal temp is about ten degrees from where you want it to finish. My kids and I prefer rare or medium rare so we normally shoot for 120ish. This took about 35 minutes for this cut but may take 45 for bigger ones.

5. Get a cast iron sizzling hot (8) with grease of your choice. I used bacon grease here - butter is a bad choice because it burns at the high heat.

View attachment 1195991

View attachment 1195992

View attachment 1195993

Jeebus

bullgator

You’ve just done something that’s vary hard to do. You’ve made me hungry right after I’ve eaten. I usually can’t think about food when I’m full.

bany

I’m planning to do the whole strap this weekend. Was going to go on the bbq low. You’ve given me some more outlook on the program.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

1. Set the oven to 250.

View attachment 1195989

View attachment 1195991

View attachment 1195992

View attachment 1195993

Definitely trying it!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Job!!!

basshappy

BANNED
Two options to consider are walnut oil and grapeseed oil. We like both. Grapeseed doesn't change flavor and walnut gives hint of nutty flavor.

ilbcnu

Tip. Instead of using salt to season venison and beef steaks make a paste with 4 or 5 beef bouillon cubes in a smidgen of water and liberally coat each side. You won’t regret it