Ribeye Steak Question with salt

JonathanG2013

I bought a few ribeyes last night. This morning I put some kosher salt on them and put them on a cooking rack in the refrigerator to cook tomorrow night. I know to let it get to room temp before placing it on the grill. Should I just add some black pepper to the steak and put it on the grill or add steak seasoning also? Was wondering if the steak seasoning would make it too salty? First time brining por say the steak for 24 hours in the fridge.

ilbcnu

Add pepper just before taking up the steak, pepper can burn and taint the steak. Add salt when steak has reached room temp. It absorbs salt best then

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like plenty of pepper on mine. It can scorch if you use the coarse stuff, though. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. I also don't want to cure a steak before I cook it. :)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Olive oil, salt & pepper. Get your cast iron HOT. Toss in ribeyes. Just before flipping, throw in fresh garlic, 2tbs butter and a sprig of rosemary. flip ribeyes, spoon garlic/butter on top. Put on a plate, wrap in aluminum foil and let it rest for a few minutes while you fix your plate. And enjoy. The crust is what makes the steak.

Lilly001

I often salt a steak and leave it over night in the fridge.
Then I knock off any excess salt and toss it on a hot skillet.
Turn once. Let rest for 5 minutes and enjoy.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm all for brining but I've never met a ribeye that needed it. Just sayin'.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for brining but I've never met a ribeye that needed it. Just sayin'.
Yeah, I'm kind of in the camp that the less you do to a good ribeye, the better.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

specialk

You can get an Akorn direct from Char Griller for $329. I'm just sayin'..... :bounce:
true, but i like the LP gas, it takes about 5mins to heat up and 3mins per side on a 1 inch ribeye...easy transport-fits in the back seat of the car, great for tailgating.....dude won it on a raffle at his work and i got it kinda cheap....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
true, but i like the LP gas, it takes about 5mins to heat up and 3mins per side on a 1 inch ribeye...easy transport-fits in the back seat of the car, great for tailgating.....dude won it on a raffle at his work and i got it kinda cheap....

Since it was cheap I can see the attraction. :rockon:

I admit I've become a hard bitten purist. If it's steak it's got to be cooked on a hot open fire. I get shunned a lot by the LP crowd.:bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a few ribeyes last night. This morning I put some kosher salt on them and put them on a cooking rack in the refrigerator to cook tomorrow night. I know to let it get to room temp before placing it on the grill. Should I just add some black pepper to the steak and put it on the grill or add steak seasoning also? Was wondering if the steak seasoning would make it too salty? First time brining por say the steak for 24 hours in the fridge.
I actually disagree 100% with the room temperature thing. After trying it both ways a hundred times, I now take mine straight out of the fridge and onto the grill. Helps keep it from overcooking. I have yet in half a century to undercook a steak, but I've overcooked a pile of them. I take the cold steak and throw it on a scalding hot (real organic fire) grill for about three- three and a half minutes per side depending on thickness. Let it rest, nice medium-rare.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Agree with some of the others, cold out of the fridge to keep it rare in the middle. I have ruined a bunch over the years letting them get to room temp.

I dont eat much steak these days but I do bounce back and forth between wet rub soak for a few hours or just plane ole olive oil, salt and pepper. I use sea salt to just of very little amount goes a long way. I was always taught to not dry rub a steak until its ready for the grill otherwise the salt will dry it out.

jbogg

A little off-topic, but definitely related. At Christmas and Easter Publix has a sale every year on standing rib roast. $6.99 a pound. They limit you to two at a time. Bring them home and carve into whatever thickness you prefer. We’ve been running back-and-forth to Publix for the past three days. Stocked up on steaks!

IMG_8966.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A little off-topic, but definitely related. At Christmas and Easter Publix has a sale every year on standing rib roast. $6.99 a pound. They limit you to two at a time. Bring them home and carve into whatever thickness you prefer. We’ve been running back-and-forth to Publix for the past three days. Stocked up on steaks!

View attachment 1278132
Did that yesterday.