River bird

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Last Sunday I went to a bird which was the nearest of three I heard at first light, and I estimated 400 yards to him in the tree. At 200 yards, I ran into water. River was into the woods and he was closer to the other side than to my side. I backed out and looked for one of the other birds on dry ground. All stopped gobbling within a few minutes. At about an hour later, I heard a couple of trickles far away, but then a swamp bird, most likely the one deep into the water I heard at first light, cranked up on the ground about 300 yards north of where I heard one in the tree. I was in open quail woods and he was in the swamp downhill from me. I got to the water’s edge after moving only 40 yards into the swamp woods. He answered me, but was at least 75-125 yards across moving water. He was hot-- double, triple, quadruple gobbling at my yelps and cuts. After 30 minutes I thought I heard wings to my left, but silence greeted my clucks. After about 10 minutes, I decided he had walked off on the other side off the water. I backed out to the firebreak about 10 yards behind me and cackled. He cut me off and was to my right on my side of the water. He had flown across. I moved back into the swamp, back against a pine and lightly clucked. He thundered in response to my right. In a few moments, I saw him picking his way along the water’s edge. Gun up, he broke into an open spot 33 yards away. I’ve had them fly across a 10 yards wide slough filled with water, wade across a flooded swamp up to the feathers, fly across an impenetrable thicket, but never across a wide river flooded swamp to get to me. I suppose I’ll have to wait another 47 seasons for it to happen again. When I thought I had heard wings to my left, the soft sound must have played tricks on my ears. Note the nail on his middle toe nearest the pine cone. Gil

[/URL
]

Gaswamp

congrats Gil. very cool story

sportsman94

Very cool! I hunted a flooded river bottom last year and had one gobbling probably 600 yards into the swamp. He wasn’t as hot as yours and I didn’t have waders so I didn’t pursue.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mighty nice swamp bird, Gil. You did something by getting him to cross all that water.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great hunt and gobbler , congrats !

tad1

One thing about turkeys, they never cease to surprise me! Thanks for sharing, enjoyed your hunt

buckpasser

Great story!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! What a great hunt Gil! You’ve been knocking them for a while, yet they still amaze! Thanks for sharing brother that was a fun ride!

Big7

The Oracle
Mighty nice swamp bird, Gil. You did something by getting him to cross all that water.
First time I ever even heard of one crossing that much water.

Sounds like an exciting hunt for sure.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
First time I ever even heard of one crossing that much water.

Sounds like an exciting hunt for sure.
An old buddy once called one over 200 yards across the Altamaha. He said the bird never flapped his wings and looked like a B-52 gliding across the water. Gil