Rodent Chewed Injector Wiring - ARGHH

rayjay

Well, for those that have never experienced it you needed to have been here this morning. Got ready to go buy some mower gas and the motor was running real rough and instant check engine light. Found that the rear cyl on the right was not firing and while getting ready to pull the plug noticed a chewed up wiring loom for the 2 rear injectors. Then while repairing them come to find out my soldering iron is kaput !! Fortunately I have a spare. Now I need to get the check engine light turned off. This is on a full sized Dodge van so the dog house had to come out. I've killed 8+ chipmunks this summer and now I need to get some mice traps to make some more rodents die.

Darkhorse

I have the same thing happen regularly on our Buick LeSabre.
My Polaris Sportsman 600 had corrosion on the plug that goes into the starter key and wouldn't turn over. I bought a pigtail with 6" wires that spliced into the wiring harness, it was made in China. The rats and mice "Ate" those 6 inches of wiring, metal, insulation and all completely. Makes me wonder what they were made of since they left all the other wiring alone. Now I've got a lot of soldering to do before deer season.
Can't seem to kill enough of the little pests.

95g atl

I leave a toyota pickup and chevy tahoe at my hunt club year round - in addition to my 5th wheel camper.

They ate the EFI wiring on the toyota, wiper wiring on the tahoe, and 7 pin wiring for the camper. Fun Fun Fun.

Moth balls "help" in the engine bays, but the most effective solution is commercial grade rodent packs/bait. Plot a couple of them in the engine compartment and in the underside of the camper. No more issues (knock on wood).

FootLongDawg

What is it about wiring that rodents love? Seen this happen many times with folks leaving hunt vehicles year round at hunt clubs. Just doesnt make any sense.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Well, for those that have never experienced it you needed to have been here this morning. Got ready to go buy some mower gas and the motor was running real rough and instant check engine light. Found that the rear cyl on the right was not firing and while getting ready to pull the plug noticed a chewed up wiring loom for the 2 rear injectors. Then while repairing them come to find out my soldering iron is kaput !! Fortunately I have a spare. Now I need to get the check engine light turned off. This is on a full sized Dodge van so the dog house had to come out. I've killed 8+ chipmunks this summer and now I need to get some mice traps to make some more rodents die.

Unhook your negative battery cable for 10-15 minutes, that will usually clear your computer and check engine light.

Bullochcountyhunter

I've seen squirrels chew wiring as well. Actually popped the hood on a old f150 one day. Big ol rat looked at me. He had chewed every wire, plastic hose and rubber vacuum lines to add to his nest. The dodge chargers that I work on for a living, I've had a squirrel chew through the plastic fuel line at the fuel rail under hood. At least it stopped when he got a mouthful of gas.

Big7

The Oracle
Not sure about wiring.
The rascals cost me a very good truck eating on fuel line.
Almost killed my Uncle.

Watch for squirrels and chipmunks.?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I haven't had damage to wiring...most of that is inside somewhere. The squirrels do wear out the aluminum ties that hold chain link to the top tube around here.

rayjay

The check engine light cleared itself on the drive to the gas station.