Rooster's woods walk around Spring Hill, Monroe county

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Since it was the first day of gun season, I thought I'd take a walk on Spring Hill and see what was going on. After spraying down liberally with Permethrin on my clothes, Deep Woods Off on my skin, and my Snake Guardz Chaps (they may not save your underwear but they will save your leg from a snake bite), I set off to the back of the property. Still too hot for hunting for me.
Found a good sized track in the back corner near one of my blinds.
IMG_0923.JPG
And a couple of rubs from earlier this year
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG
I crossed the creek and found these two not 20 yards from my other blind.
IMG_0930.JPG
Here's the view from that blind towards those rubs.
IMG_0932.JPG
After walking down the creek towards the front of Spring Hill, I found another big track right next to a pile of BIG coyote poo that was full of persimmon seeds.
IMG_0937.JPG
It was right next to one of the many headwaters of Echeconnee creek.
IMG_0933.JPG
And a rare sight on the front part of my place is a rub, but I found this older one not 50 yards from HWY 74. I think it's from the decent sized buck that was bedding up front last year that I could never catch a sight of in daylight.
IMG_0938.JPG
I finished up my walk with a nice cold Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery.
IMG_0939.JPG

Last edited:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Looks/sounds like a morning well spent. More than ready for a little woods time myself tomorrow morning.

Big7

The Oracle
Yep, I just need that cool snap to come. I hate warm weather hunting. Sweat to death walking in, the snakes, the bugs, and having to drag and clean in the heat and you have to be in a hurry to get it done. I like to be able to take my time.
Same here.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Looks like a great day n the woods. You keep drinking those gay beers and you will find yourself sitting on a porch swing with Greg dreaming up the next awesome home built chair to sell Jim.
Mrs. Wendy made me edit my post. She don't want anyone thinking she's that mean.
I can't drink for quantity anymore, I drink for quality and that's a quality beer.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
BBQ Boss defended his Bluemoon fruitcake beer too. Don’t feel bad my wife had me sipping a Zima once. It happens to all of us!
Zima!!!!!!!!!:hair:
I'm a dark beer connoisseur. I like some Pilsners as well but I prefer porters, stouts, and dark ales. I'm kinda up in the air about all the IPA's out there. Seems like everybody is making them now. Some taste good and some taste like, well, not good.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
If you are gallivanting all around your blinds you might as well have toted your gun and had a sit.

Come to think of it, you ain't averse to the heat. You are just tryin' to avoid sitting in one of your custom blind chairs.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
If you are gallivanting all around your blinds you might as well have toted your gun and had a sit.

Come to think of it, you ain't averse to the heat. You are just tryin' to avoid sitting in one of your custom blind chairs.
Jim, there's more to my threads than just chairs. Just enjoy these pics. I'll post more chair pics later after I kill a deer while I'm sitting in it. I was toting, just not hunting. The airweight 38 was in my pocket loaded with snakeshot.

P.S. - The chair will be getting some improvements soon. Pics to follow once I have time to do what I've got planned.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Mrs. Wendy made me edit my post. She don't want anyone thinking she's that mean.
I can't drink for quantity anymore, I drink for quality and that's a quality beer.

Blame it on your brother. He is mean. For real. And quit drinking that mule milk. Have some of the good stuff on hand. :)

BOURBON.jpg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Blame it on your brother. He is mean. For real. And quit drinking that mule milk. Have some of the good stuff on hand. :)

View attachment 1110185
Brother, if I'm gonna drink brown liquor, it will be dark rum. Preferably Goslings Black Seal, Myers Dark, and a few other fine but lesser known brands. Anything but that cheap and nasty Bacardi or Captain Morgan made for the masses swill.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Just heard a cat holler behind the house. Nice to know that Ol' tom bobcat is probably still around. Saw him a few times last year.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Brother, if I'm gonna drink brown liquor, it will be dark rum. Preferably Goslings Black Seal, Myers Dark, and a few other fine but lesser known brands. Anything but that cheap and nasty Bacardi or Captain Morgan made for the masses swill.

There`s a new dark rum distillery in Richland now. Supposed to be top end stuff. I haven`t tried it yet.

Artfuldodger

Have you ever tried any of the offers from Appleton Estate? I read about them but haven't tried any. Some of them are way out of my price range.
I also like porters, stouts, and brown ales. I'm still trying to figure our the difference between a Scotch Ale and a Scottish Ale.