Rub?

BigBass123

Still learning my deer sign. Is this a rub? Tree was about the size of my pointer finger, jumped a deer right next to it.

Nothing I’d call a scrape in the spot but lots of deep dug out hove marks that looked pretty fresh.

chrislibby88

Yes. Rub. Hoof marks could be from him pushing into the little sapling, or he may have made a quick scrape there. They don’t always clear a patch on the ground, they sometimes work the licking branch over the scrape (look closely, you should see a short twisted up branch between chest and head high, or a branch with most leaves missing) and then just kick the leaves back twice, urinate and go. Sometimes they don’t even clear the dirt, they just work the licking branch instead.

Look around that area for more sign. You are either near a food source (hot oak tree, or food plot), in a bedding area, or in a travel hub (where a lot of deer cross paths or move through often, usually between bedding and food)

BigBass123

Thinking it’s a bedding area, pine thicket ranging from waist high to about 7’. Back side is a point that has a saddle going into a bowl on the other side.

Sitting it now so hopefully one passes back through.

Latest posts