San Juan River Chronicle | Book Review

Tight Lines

Just finished a book called San Juan River Chronicle by Steve Meyer.

I fished the Juan in Northern NM more times than I recall a couple of decades ago, and normally fished with Gary Wilmart who was a pretty renowned guide in the area...he never had any sons so him and his wife kind of took me and my single friends in as their adopted sons, at least on the river.

I bought this book a long time ago, and never got around to reading it. It was in my bookcase, and I guess since I had fished with Steve and the Juan, I figured I knew what was in it...it was written in '97 before the decline of the river...

It's quite good, and a good read even if you have never fished the Juan. It's short, but powerful. I can definitely relate to much of what is written and Steve does a good job...

You can find it on Amazon or other book sites if you are interested...

51eFfCNqbAL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:

Concrete Pete

Just finished a book called San Juan River Chronicle by Steve Meyer.

I fished the Juan in Northern NM more times than I recall a couple of decades ago, and normally fished with Gary Wilmart who was a pretty renowned guide in the area...he never had any sons so him and his wife kind of took me and my single friends in as their adopted sons, at least on the river.

I bought this book a long time ago, and never got around to reading it. It was in my bookcase, and I guess since I had fished with Steve and the Juan, I figured I knew what was in it...it was written in '97 before the decline of the river...

It's quite good, and a good read even if you have never fished the Juan. It's short, but powerful. I can definitely relate to much of what is written and Steve does a good job...

You can find it on Amazon or other book sites if you are interested...

View attachment 1258094
What were some of the highlights of the book for you?

Tight Lines

What were some of the highlights of the book for you?
Well, I didn't know Steve well at all, but fished once with him back around the time of the book.

The decline of the fishery and the explanation of it was one...

His details of life long friends met fishing and guiding another...

His knowledge of the river and the back channels, nooks and crannies that the masses don't go...

There is a discussion about favorite fly rods...which is excellent...

The fun of carp fishing in the slack water...

The fun of teaching kids to fish but letting them find their own way...

Probably best of all is his description of his favorite days on the river, which were similar to mine...in the winter when the crowds are gone, snow falling, and a massive hatch coming off...

It's a quick easy read, and he does a good job of describing his home river as I recall it...