Sapelo Island 2nd Hunt Advice

Dhelm155

Hey guys, got drawn for the the 2nd quota hunt at Sapelo Island. Any advice about the hunt there, transportation (is it easier to hire someone to take you than the ferry), I know bug spray and lots of it, but what about things you took that you wish you hadn't or things you wish you had taken. Just looking for some general advice so I can start to prepare for the trip. Thanks in advance guys!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on getting drawn for the hunt . I’ve never been but from what I’ve heard most take the ferry and have nothing negative to say about it . If you don’t get some good advice here go to the public land section at the bottom and search Sapelo island , and good luck . I’ve seen some pretty good YouTube videos on these island hunts also !

KKrueger

Thermacell! Power is available around camp for the hunts so we bring a box fan to use in the tent.

I'm a huge fan of taking my own boat out for the flexibility it provides for coming and going and what I can haul. But, the ferry seems like a great option too. Fun hunt. Cool place. Lots of Sapelo threads on here and the public land section over the years. Hope you have a great hunt.

Casperhunt

Just got off the phone with them. I got drawn for the 1st hunt. They told me the same thing that is in the reg book. He said hang on stands are ok, bows, crossbow, no folding chairs and limited cooler size. You definitely wanna call and check ferry schedule. He said mine was the 18th at 7:45 am.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905-185009.png
    Screenshot_20230905-185009.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 12

BCAPES

My son was 7 when we were drawn and we actually brought a disassembled 2 man ladder stand so we could sit together while hunting. The palmettos are thick. We went to be together so we assembled it and put it up in a place with plenty of sign to spend time together. The ferry boat captain/DNR guy told us not to ever do it again LOL. So don't bring a ladder stand.

sprewett

I have went 4 times think this will be the 5th. We will be there the third hunt. First and foremost always remember this trip is more than killing. You can be quite discouraged about the size of the deer if killing is your only goal. It is about hunting in Jurassic Park! As previously mentioned the palmettos are really thick in places and basically impossible to hunt on the ground. Although Blaine and Stanley can point you to an area if your on the ground that hasn't been taken already. Don't be afraid to ask them! Stanley is a life long resident of the island. In regards to getting there the ferry is great and cheap. However, most likely if you haven't already made you reservations the boats are probably already filled for the scouting day. If you do get on the ferry ( call Sapelo Island Visitors center to make reservations) If your on the ferry eat your Wheaties before hand! It is a group effort to load the boat. All hands on deck moving everyone's stuff. Your stuff won't get damaged or stolen. Also help the locals load there groceries and such. It is a tremendous amount of work to load, hopefully the bulkhead is fixed last year was really really bad.
There is a list of rules about the ferry most likely on the visitors center site. Some rules are rigid such as liquid fuel sources others are kinda dependent on the boat captain.
The island has power we always camp near the shower house and run a drop cord from it. But even if that isn't available there will be a couple power strips under the big map again nobody will mess with you phone. (At least I have never had problems) there used to be a giant generator running the freezer you could also plug into but last year they ran it off pto shaft from a tractor.
On the trailers my suggestion is seat yourself far back from the tractor. It will blow dust and dirt ALL over you if your close to the front of trailer. Your gun has to be in a case now on the trailer.
The morning of leaving if your like me and don't do well without food. Have a good filling meal that can be eaten without cooking or much clean up. The trailer usually leaves pretty early so the morning is spent packing and loading. You will get to load the boat again. Your day will start around 430am and if you don't have a pocket full of snack most likely it will be 11 before you get to eat again all while working.
There is also great fishing from the dock! I would forget the bug spray and invest in a thermocell.
Your getting to hunt in one of the coolest spots in Georgia have fun and get ready to make some memories. If your by yourself quickly make some friends it is waaaay better with a group.
I hope this helps it is a few things I wish I would have known when I first went. I went by myself the first year.
P.S. big tote with wheels are a life saver! Ones like DeWalt ones at Home Depot.
Feel free to PM if you have any questions I am FAR from a pro but I have been a bunch. I also have hunted on the ground a few times last year I killed a doe from the ground in 2020 my brother killed one from the ground.