Savannah River gator hunt

Burton

I've actually got a tag for a SC gator this year. I've never boated the Savannah, but I'm curious what the water conditions are like. Can I take my 19' Lowe Aluminum in the river without worry of stumps or rocks? What's it like east and west of 95? Also, are there plenty of gators in the Savannah to hunt? Thanks for any help.

Michael

The upper end of the river can get hairy. "Most" of the dead heads are marked, but I hit one last year that took out my lower unit. Down around 95 you shouldn't have any problem. Actually, the further down the more gators you see. But, be careful because there is a sanctuary down there that is off limits to hunt.

Burton

Thanks Michael. I will look into that. We hunted the Edisto river a couple years ago, and I wasn't familiar with it / afraid to venture too far in one direction. Looking at the Navionics App, the Savannah appears to be safer.

Burton

It looks like the first 5 miles of river west of I-95 and the first 12 miles east of 95 is off limits to SC hunters. You have to almost be near downtown Savannah to be legal. I think the Savannah has moved down to our third option.

Southernhoundhunter

It looks like the first 5 miles of river west of I-95 and the first 12 miles east of 95 is off limits to SC hunters. You have to almost be near downtown Savannah to be legal. I think the Savannah has moved down to our third option.

That's where all the gators are. Gators are scarce or very spooky above 95. Most of them are killed or shot at by the time they are 4 foot long

Beta Tau789

I was out on the Savannah river last week between Abercorn Creek and Purrysburg and counted 15-20 Gators. None of which where better than about 6 foot. I've got a zone 8 gator tag in Georgia to fill....

Michael

I've found one or 2 there before :cool:

Attachments

• Team Russ - Copy.jpg
    Team Russ - Copy.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 333
  • Mike and Scott - Copy.jpg
    Mike and Scott - Copy.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 2011  Gator - Copy.jpg
    2011 Gator - Copy.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 9-10-13 Chris Bullard - Copy.jpg
    9-10-13 Chris Bullard - Copy.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 330

bullardsls1

I am the guy in the pic above I hired micheal evans for that hunt . Had a time of my life seen tons of gators he made me pass on several good gators but it all paid off to kill this lizard . I have my own boat and all the gear but I promise ya when I get my tag in 2 or 3 years I am gonna call micheal team let's hunt .net

Last edited: