Saw a chase today 3/12/2023

Stang

I saw a buck chasing a small doe hard this morning in South Cherokee. He was giving her fits, chasing her in circles in a pasture. Someone in the area may see a little one with spots come Thanksgiving. A question that comes to mind that maybe @C.Killmaster might be able to answer: will this doe continue to cycle each year this late or will she eventually cycle when the majority of the does cycle in the area? and if so, how long will that take?

slow motion

When you say small doe, less than a year?

Screenshot_20230312-205420_Adblock Browser.jpg

Hunter922

Not uncommon. See it every year in Fulton and Cobb...

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I saw a buck chasing a small doe hard this morning in South Cherokee. He was giving her fits, chasing her in circles in a pasture. Someone in the area may see a little one with spots come Thanksgiving. A question that comes to mind that maybe @C.Killmaster might be able to answer: will this doe continue to cycle each year this late or will she eventually cycle when the majority of the does cycle in the area? and if so, how long will that take?
It's probably a fawn coming into heat for the first time. She'll be normal by next fall.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I think there are just gonna be fawns hitting the dirt almost all year long somewhere in GA. Much like FL.
I’ve often wondered about the genes of the deer from the Alabama Blackbelt that were transported from Florida are just 100+ miles away from Ga. Everyone knows these deer rut in January because that’s when the does are ready to breed. What’s keeping these genes from getting into the local herds around Ga? Would this not start an October/November to February or March estrous period?

Will future herds be affected by these genetic factors in Georgia?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’ve often wondered about the genes of the deer from the Alabama Blackbelt that were transported from Florida are just 100+ miles away from Ga. Everyone knows these deer rut in January because that’s when the does are ready to breed. What’s keeping these genes from getting into the local herds around Ga? Would this not start an October/November to February or March estrous period?

Will future herds be affected by these genetic factors in Georgia?

I don't think any of us will live long enough to see that happen. At 50+ years post restocking what we tend to see is very hard lines where deer from different stocking sources collide. By this I mean you can have a peak rut in late December on one side of a county and in November on the other side. The genetic side of rut timing may have taken thousands of years to shape and then we come in and shake it all up with restocking. It could take thousands of years to homogenize deer across the southeast.

Latest posts