saw this, idea for chickens

SarahFair

I understand the idea behind it, ie. If you have a few chickens and have raised beds it'd work great to keep them out, but you'd still have to be out there and watch them.. wings will get caught, ball will get caught, predators...

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I wonder how well they would get around on a slope, rocky terrain or leaves. It's kinda looking like a chicken torture device. Can't scratch, can't run, can't fly. A chicken thunderdome.
My yard is sloped. I'd have to go down to the bottom and carry them back up to the top every 10 minutes.

Hmm. Maybe it's really a human exercise gadget?

Toliver

One of our redtails or red shouldered would rip its head off. Or a great horned owl or bald eagle would fly off with the whole apparatus, chicken and all.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Then you're out a chicken and a $50 chicken ball. Cheaper to just let the predators have the chicken than to arm them with metal bombs to drop on their neighbor's Tesla.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That's exactly what I was thinking. Then you're out a chicken and a $50 chicken ball. Cheaper to just let the predators have the chicken than to arm them with metal bombs to drop on their neighbor's Tesla.

None of the hawks can lift a grown chicken and fly off with it, but the eagles and great horned owls can. And they will, given the chance.

Toliver

And if that ball is supposed to be able to prevent that, it would be too heavy for the chicken to maneuver anyway. I have gotten a real chuckle out of this thread because I keep seeing chickens rolling uncontrollably down hills into creeks and ditches. Some poor schmuck driving through the hood when suddenly a metal ball with a chicken in it rolls across the road in front of them. Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he couldn't stop!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And if that ball is supposed to be able to prevent that, it would be too heavy for the chicken to maneuver anyway. I have gotten a real chuckle out of this thread because I keep seeing chickens rolling uncontrollably down hills into creeks and ditches. Some poor schmuck driving through the hood when suddenly a metal ball with a chicken in it rolls across the road in front of them. Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he couldn't stop!
Yeah, I doubt if those would work well at all up here in my neck of the woods.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My son had a hamster when he was little. He had one of those little clear plastic balls you could put it in and let it toodle around the house. With the cat chasing it. Hamster Hel. :bounce:

Toliver

So now there's this to add to the thread.
Qinfly Arc-Shaped Chicken Swing Natural Hardwoods Chicken Toys for Coop Handmade Chicken Swing for Hens Chicken Coop Swing Chicken Coop Accessories https://a.co/d/bYsBOxb

I told my wife if she gets a swing for her chickens, m naming the first one to get on it Charlotte. She didn't understand why so I had to send her this.