SC carry law...

delta708

NO. SC doesn't recognize GA. CWP's nor does GA recognize SC's. For SC residents to carry in GA they have to get a NH license. I am not sure if that works the opposite for GA.

NO. SC doesn't recognize GA. CWP's nor does GA recognize SC's. For SC residents to carry in GA they have to get a NH license. I am not sure if that works the opposite for GA.
just a note - the reason sc wont honor "ga cwp's" as you put it is because we dont have "cwp" here in georgia. we have "georgia firearms license", or "gfl".

for some reason, im wanting to think that the reason sc wont honor georgia license is because we dont have mandatory training to recieve license.

davel

Can I have a handgun in my vehicle in SC? I'm going to a friends wedding next month and wondered if I could take my gun...not for the wedding, just for protection there and back.:bounce:

ThaDuck

I’ve asked this same question and it appears no one really knows. I got the same vague answers. It’s clear SC does not honor Ga’s firearm license and vice versa. So does that mean you cannot carry your pistol at all? Maybe unloaded? In the glove box? In view?

Luke0927

We can't carry in SC they don't like it that we don't require training to get a GFL....bunch of losers over in SC they should be banned from the South :whip: :cheers:

ThaDuck

No, not as I read the law. SC and GA do not have the res. agreement. You can get a State of New Hampshire NON RESIDENT License and then carry concealed in SC.

I have both SC and New Hampshire CWPs.

I saw a post from Luke "We can't carry in SC they don't like it that we don't require training to get a GFL....bunch of losers over in SC they should be banned from the South" : )

They are not ALL losers in SC : ) Even the MARINE CORP./ Parris Island requires firearm training. The CORP. reasoned that you could better protect and defend, if you had weapons training. Even the toughest DI's did not want to be around anyone with a weapon who was not properly trained.

SC only requires 8 hours of training range (which is fun), and written part (which informs you about SC laws and proper procedures handling a weapon). You must pass a background check which eliminates felons/criminals.
All said and done, it did not bother me at all. I scored 100% on shooting and a 99% on the written, and made some new friends in the process.
We have a range at work but, I enjoyed their range, and joined their rifle club. I really did not feel like a loser by having the training : )
All the best to you, hope this helped you.

Thanks for the Info K9, I will have to look into the New Hampshire NON RESIDENT License. I suppose training is required to get one?

sawyerrt10

wait time for the NH license is 7-8 weeks currently.

gahunter70

Can I have a handgun in my vehicle in SC? I'm going to a friends wedding next month and wondered if I could take my gun...not for the wedding, just for protection there and back.:bounce:
Yes you can have a gun in your vehicle it must be in the glove box or in the back seat in a container with attached latches or in your trunk. This applies to anyone that does not have a cwp if you have a cwp the same rules apply except you can also carry on your person but remember that in SC it is concealed carry and that means concealed.

gahunter70

Thanks for the Info K9, I will have to look into the New Hampshire NON RESIDENT License. I suppose training is required to get one?
no training for the NH permit just fill out the app send in with $20 and wait.

davel

Yes you can have a gun in your vehicle it must be in the glove box or in the back seat in a container with attached latches or in your trunk. This applies to anyone that does not have a cwp if you have a cwp the same rules apply except you can also carry on your person but remember that in SC it is concealed carry and that means concealed.

Can it be loaded?
Thanks for the response!
Dave

gahunter70

Can it be loaded?
Thanks for the response!
Dave
Yes it can be loaded, I may have not been clear enough when I stated that with a cwp you can carry on your person. It's actually on or about your person meaning for a female or metro sexual it can be in you purse and also this cwp has to be one that SC does honor. As for GA I'm not sure how to carry in SC and I was told the same thing in my class that they did not honor GA because of no training. Maybe it is that NH has a training for residents and will only allow non residents to get a permit from a state that also requires training I'll have to check on that.

gahunter70

So why do they not honor Ga's again?? :confused: Lack of "training", right? :huh:
Yes it is true they only recognize states which have training involved with the permit(which I think is a great idea). I just checked and they do not have a reciprocity with New Hampshire so it is up to NH to issue the permit. After going through the class I can say I am glad SC requires this, because there were some in my class that got gun safety training that clearly did not know anything about handguns had they lived in a state that does not do this they could have just gone out and got a permit then carried a gun and from what I saw would not have been safe about it. The class also goes into detail about the laws and gives info on how important it is to find out the laws of other states. I have owned and been around guns since I was 10 and I can say I benefited from the class.
I hope Ga residents can find some way to carry in SC as I believe the more we have the better.Oh I forgot to mention NH does not require a class but as mentioned already SC does not have a reciprocity with them.

Last edited:

Stan in SC

In South Carolina you may carry a loaded or unloaded weapon in your vehicle if it is the glove compartment,console(if it has a closable lid) or in the trunk.It has to be "behind a door".
Perhaps the state of Georgia should institute some type of training before issuing a carry license so that South Carolina would honor their concealed carry license.