Scariest moment while hunting

Timberman

A lock on that used a seat belt type strap gave way on me. I felt it give a little and turned around to see the strap parting. I threw my bow, stood up and turned and got my arms almost around the tree when it let go. I fell about 5 feet and hooked myself in the ribs on a tree step. It stopped me and I hung there a second then kicked away from the tree and landed on the ground. I was badly bruised but luckily was wearing a heavy coat so it cushioned the blow somewhat. I was 23 or 24 so I overed it pretty quick.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
What’s your scariest moment while hunting? Here’s mine

I was 11 years old and was in a climber stand. We were in a pine tree over looking a bedding area. Now that i look back at it, we were WAY to high then we should have been. We had a group of deer come out of a tree line and I rested the rifle on the bar and was about to shoot but then I adjusted my weight on the seat and the foot part and when i adjusted my weight the bottom part of the stand slipped and the string connected to the seat portion caught it. I lost my balance and almost dropped my gun out of the stand. I wasn’t using a harness on this hunt eitner. Needless to say I definetly use a harness while in climbers and I definetly don’t go as high as I did that time.

Post your scariest moment

Always use a less than 8ft piece of rope on that bottom section :hair:
Untitled.jpg

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
OK.......It's the last week of turkey season, tagged out and I think I got the contest in the bag! I head to work on a BEAUTIFUL red sky marnin! My trucks runnin good, horses behave, everything goin great so far. I have a nice quiet sit down lunch at subway. Text the wife ask how her day's been. Everything seems perfect on the outside. BUT.....I know I have to return that afternoon to check GON to see if Beaglers registered anything. Man you talk about scary!!! That lucky dude'll git ya in a heartbeat!

Wayne D Davis

I was in my early 30s hunting in Cherokee county on inland container land we had leased. The woods was calm and very quiet 1 hr before day break. I heard what I thought was a women being rapped or something. Scared me half to death but I climb down and headed towards the screaming. Then I spotted it. About a 35 pound bobcat. The property was off Arnald Spence at Buff creek.

NickDeer

I was in my early 30s hunting in Cherokee county on inland container land we had leased. The woods was calm and very quiet 1 hr before day break. I heard what I thought was a women being rapped or something. Scared me half to death but I climb down and headed towards the screaming. Then I spotted it. About a 35 pound bobcat. The property was off Arnald Spence at Buff creek.
Oh lord.. I know where that is....

Blackston

Ossabaw parent child hunt accidental discharge almost shot my daddy dirt kicked up beside him we were on the the last drop off point on north end of island I think area 66 but I often think about it and it still makes me shutter I was young and inexperienced and it just happened but I’ll NEVER forget that day

I was hunting a farm in Maryland with my cousin that he got us permission to hunt. We always try to get in our stands an hour early back then, he drops me off at my stand and continues on to his stand towards the back of the farm. I’m climbing up my tree and I hear a gunshot ring out, sounds very close. I thought someone shot him, turns out it was off the neighbors property.... probably poachers. Scary hearing a gunshot in total darkness.

westcobbdog

What’s your scariest moment while hunting? Here’s mine

I was 11 years old and was in a climber stand. We were in a pine tree over looking a bedding area. Now that i look back at it, we were WAY to high then we should have been. We had a group of deer come out of a tree line and I rested the rifle on the bar and was about to shoot but then I adjusted my weight on the seat and the foot part and when i adjusted my weight the bottom part of the stand slipped and the string connected to the seat portion caught it. I lost my balance and almost dropped my gun out of the stand. I wasn’t using a harness on this hunt eitner. Needless to say I definetly use a harness while in climbers and I definetly don’t go as high as I did that time.

Post your scariest moment
There’s a great old “scary” thread on here that’s a classic.

shdw633

I was hunting a muck farm in Michigan alone and came to a drainage ditch that looked to only have about an inch or two of water in it. I decided I would run down the ditch, jump to the middle of the ditch and hop across to the other side. When I hit that "inch" of water I sank to my neck and could feel nothing under my feet. I had my shotgun under my chin and my head was the only thing I had on top of the water and every time I moved I sank a little farther down. I was surprised I wasn't more panicky but I stayed calm, hurled my shotgun to the other side of the ditch and layed out like I had seen done when you are in quicksand. I was surprised that it worked and I must have looked really silly paddling in an inch of water to get to the other side but that's when the horror of my situation came to light. I was covered head to toe in muck and the only way I had to get home was in my wife's BRAND NEW Thunderbird, yes that did not go well......at all.

Bubba_1122

5 or so years ago headed into the swamp with Summit on my back. Went to step over a downed tree and foot hits tree and I fall down, landing on my knees and jamming my back. Took several minutes to gather myself, even though lower back was hurting like all get out. Decided was still good to climb tree and headed up (was middle of rut).

Prob made it 20' up tree - Sat there quite a while and my back stiffened up. Could barely move. Hunting buddy had left early for something going on with his family. So I'm in the swamp in the middle of 375 acres in a climbing stand 20+ feet up a tree and I can't get down. Took a long time to get down and had about a mile to get to my truck. Probably took me closer to 3 hours to get to my truck was hurting so bad.Still have some issues with lower back from that incident.

Second scariest (or actually probably the first) was in early 2018. I had surgery to fuse 3 vertebrae my neck at the end of November 2017. In early 2018 (about 2 months after having the surgery) I was at hunting club by myself just messing around - just craving to be outside. Was only allowed to pick up 5 pounds because of the neck surgery. Was still wearing that neck brace that I hated so.

Ran across a fat lighter stump/log in the woods and decided, since I couldn't pick it up I'd drag it to the edge of the field by my truck. Got my feet tangled in some vines and ended up falling very hard backwards. Landed very hard on my butt and head came back and hit so hard that head bounced off the ground. Saw stars and couldn't move. Laid on the ground for quite a while thinking I had paralyzed myself. Laid there wondering how long it'd take someone to find me out there and hoping the hogs or other critters wouldn't find me first.

Was eventually able to roll over onto my stomach, get my legs under me and work my way up and get to my truck. Lost the hearing in my left ear out of the incident but other than that everything ended up good (except my doctor thought I was a complete idiot for being out there by myself and falling because of a fat lighter stump (he's probably right).

Was a scary thing and I'm very fortunate.

Scary: in the late 70's and early 80's I hunted mostly in a Baker climbing stand. Speaking of scary...

Last edited:

crucible02

Scariest thing for me was walking in to my stand on public land a couple years ago. It was dark and I heard something growl and start running. I ain’t never climbed a stand so fast in my life!

I was hunting on my private piece. Had a hawk fly right by me and land on a branch about 5 feet in front of me and stare right at me. Scared the fool out me.

Several times I have spooked deer in the dark that were close by. That’ll get your blood pumping too.

NickDeer

Scariest thing for me was walking in to my stand on public land a couple years ago. It was dark and I heard something growl and start running. I ain’t never climbed a stand so fast in my life!

I was hunting on my private piece. Had a hawk fly right by me and land on a branch about 5 feet in front of me and stare right at me. Scared the fool out me.

Several times I have spooked deer in the dark that were close by. That’ll get your blood pumping too.
I've spooked deer in the dark close to you, that gets your heart going!

sleepr71

Just like shdw633..I went to jump over a 3ft wide creek before daylight one frosty December morning.I must have landed just perfectly in an old stump hole that was covered by silt & leaves...immediately sinking up to my armpits in almost freezing water? The suction was so great that it pulled my water logged,knee high rubber boots off. They stayed under water! Luckily I was only about 400 yds from the house..so I trucked it back to the house on Adrenaline. Soaking wet &shaking like crazy. I stripped outside & ran in to stand in front of our Buck Stove..waking my wife up in the process & she was like..umm..?..WHAT THE...WHERE are your clothes,and WHY are you covered in Mud??? Luckily it was right at daylight & kids were still asleep. If I had been older & slower...I could easily see how someone dies of Hypothermia. It’s fast when you get wet. Coyotes real close,Great Horned Owls,Turkeys,and Quail have also given me some Code Brown moments ?

Mexican Squealer

Cousin shot me in the face on a covey rise at 50 yards when
I was 16....back when we had birds in Camilla, the young fellas headed out just after Thanksgiving dinner. We flushed a covey of birds close to the truck and I killed one. I went 40 yards to pick the bird up, my cousins kept walking and flushed more birds....they flew straight to me and one of my cousins started blasting. Folded me like a box of rocks and had pellets duh out of my face and neck. Pellets dug out
As much as possible, some pellets worked their way out a year later...picture zits popping and a “ting” on the mirror....moral of the story-never separate when quail hunting.