School me on chain link fencing please.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'm going to install a 6' tall black vinyl coated chain link fence behind the house for my wife's dogs.

The DDG search isn't very helpful when trying to price materials.

Lowes has 50'x6' rolls of 9 gauge black vinyl coated fence fabric for $219. per roll.
6-ft H x 50-ft W 9-Gauge Black Steel Chain Link Fence Fabric with Mesh Size 2-in in the Chain Link Fencing department at Lowes.com

Home Depot has adjustable gates for $146 each.
6 ft. H Adjustable Walk Gate Kit, Square Corner Frame - Black CL 014529 (homedepot.com)

I'm going to have about 480 linear feet of fence.
4 gates(two single and one double).

The plan if to use tension wire at the top and bottom of the fence and not use a top rail.

I'll need line posts, end/corner/gate posts, post caps, ties, tension bands/bars/hardware, ect.

I'm planning on setting line posts 10' apart.

Is there a better place to buy fencing materials than Lowes and Home Depot?
Can I set the posts with my gas powered driver instead of using concrete?
If driving the posts is acceptable, should I set the gate/end/corner posts in concrete?

Neither Lowes nor HD sells an 8' black fence post.

Thanksfence drawing.jpg

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Recommended post diameters?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Is the fence just decorative or intended to keep something in/out.

Kids. dogs other animals?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Here's what I used:
1 7/8" line posts
2 7/8" corner/gate posts
1 5/8" top rail
I would recommend a top rail as it acts as a brace for the top of corner posts for tightening the fence and not bowing the corner posts in.
I concreted all posts, but especially the corner and gate posts.
I would also use fence stakes to hold the bottom down so dogs can't go under it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Don't use a post driver, unless you want to have to cut the tops off. One dent and the caps will not go on. Learned that the hard way.

Lukikus2

I second the top rail. Even with a tension cable the fence would droop. You would really have to have some beefed up corner posts for that.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I third the top rail.
If your dogs are diggers it would pay to lay some sort of fencing on the ground inside the fence tied on the bottom of the fence at intervals and extending a foot or two into the yard. It can be covered with dirt and will slow down a digger.

bassboy1

Most areas have a fence supply company. Often times it's connected a fence install company. Counter sale price from them will be better than Lowes. You'll probably be best off getting your poles, rails and mesh from them.

Fittings and such will often be cheaper online. I've ordered from these guys before.

https://chainlinkfittings.com/store/

Top rail is pretty much a necessity. I would set terminal posts in concrete regardless. Some companies dig 8" or so, then drive line posts the rest of the way, putting concrete just in the top hole. Others fully concrete line posts. Might be okay to just drive them, but 6' is a pretty tall fence, so wouldn't be my first choice.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you have a lot of 4" or bigger rock ,your post will go off level if you drive them.
Top rail is nessesary with 10 foot spacing.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We’ve installed tons of chain link. Use top rail.

The better prices are from fence supply companies. Driving line post is five, you’ll only need concrete on your pull posts and gate posts.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Y'all got me sold on the top rail. I just don't like the way they look.

Thanks for all the info.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Y'all got me sold on the top rail. I just don't like the way they look.

Thanks for all the info.
Yup. Your top rail will support your wire vertically and tie all of your post together at the top. The bottom of your post are in the ground so………tension wire there is all that’s needed. Good luck, chain link is fairly easy to install.

Redbow

A new 12 foot drive gate from a fencing company was over 700 dollars two years ago here gate plus installment. I did the gate myself and saved a lot of money. Chain link fencing ain't cheap anymore. Good luck with your project.

I just had a 5 foot black chain length installed by a local fence company on the back part of a 1/2 acre lot. 125 x75 square and that was 6200$ if I could re do it I would not get black . It shows everything dirt bird crap you name it and it really sticks out. It’s nice to look at but I would have got galavanized if I could re do it

Latest posts