Schoolbus brake check

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Bus driver can't win. Tries to keep them in their seats so they'll be safe and gets in trouble, if he really has to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident, kids get hurt and they'll blame him for not controlling the kids and keeping them in their seat.
We have whole generations of kids with trophy's who haven't learned that there are consequences for bad behavior and breaking the rules. Anything bad that happens is someone else's fault. We're living in bizzaro world!

BeerThirty

I don't have a problem with the break check unless any kids got seriously injured.

When I was a kid, Lorna, our old bus driver lady, was ruthless.

She'd pull over to the side of the road and just wait until she got the respect she deserved. Tell us she'd wait here all night and didn't care if we got home late. She'd make us sit right behind her if we got out of hand so she could keep an eye on us with her big mirror. Our schools gave the bus driver authority to punish us at school too, so we could earn a school detention if we had bad behavior on the bus.

Few times she'd kick the real bad ones off the bus at any given location. She'd close the door behind them and make them knock and apologize to get back on the bus. She had her ways to show who was boss...

leroy

Bus driver can't win. Tries to keep them in their seats so they'll be safe and gets in trouble, if he really has to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident, kids get hurt and they'll blame him for not controlling the kids and keeping them in their seat.
We have whole generations of kids with trophy's who haven't learned that there are consequences for bad behavior and breaking the rules. Anything bad that happens is someone else's fault. We're living in bizzaro world!
Amen, preach it.

oldfella1962

I wasn't on a bus route but rode the bus home with my girlfriend sometimes before I got my license. We also rode busses on field trips.

Kids were actually afraid of bus drivers back then. What they said went. No questions.

I wouldn't be a bus driver nowadays because kids are dangerous and you can't even defend yourself for fear of being fired and/or sued.
The worst part is the parents will take the side of their bratty kid as a default position! :(

oldfella1962

I don't have a problem with the break check unless any kids got seriously injured.

When I was a kid, Lorna, our old bus driver lady, was ruthless.

She'd pull over to the side of the road and just wait until she got the respect she deserved. Tell us she'd wait here all night and didn't care if we got home late. She'd make us sit right behind her if we got out of hand so she could keep an eye on us with her big mirror. Our schools gave the bus driver authority to punish us at school too, so we could earn a school detention if we had bad behavior on the bus.

Few times she'd kick the real bad ones off the bus at any given location. She'd close the door behind them and make them knock and apologize to get back on the bus. She had her ways to show who was boss...
Before I got my license our bus driver physically ejected two HS juniors, maybe seniors. He closed the doors and drove off! This was in rural northern Wisconsin and waaaaay before cell phones, so they had a good little hike to the nearest house so they could "phone a friend". :LOL: You know they wouldn't call their family and tell on themselves.

kingfish

At one time it was a valuable tool for the police and mouthy arrestees riding in the back. They called it a screen test.

oldfella1962

School higher up's never have the bus drivers back .
The entire school system (teachers, janitors, bus drivers, etc) totem pole/pecking order should be adults on top, kids on the bottom.
The whole education system just works better that way.

Latest posts