Season Totals

dfurdennis

Coyote 4
Bobcat 1
Raccoon 23
Possum 8, 1 carrying 10:biggrin2::biggrin2:
Left 8 leg traps out for some bonus coyote. Man what a rough season I felt like I needed hip waders instead of mud boots. Hope y'all had a great season I will post any coyote and raccoon if I manage to get lucky. Thanks for all the help and pointers at the beginning of the season it helped a lot down the stretch. And I am in no way the Silver Fox King by any stretch...I pale in comparison!!

Doug B.

Coyote 4
Bobcat 1
Raccoon 23
Possum 8, 1 carrying 10:biggrin2::biggrin2:
Left 8 leg traps out for some bonus coyote. Man what a rough season I felt like I needed hip waders instead of mud boots. Hope y'all had a great season I will post any coyote and raccoon if I manage to get lucky. Thanks for all the help and pointers at the beginning of the season it helped a lot down the stretch. And I am in no way the Silver Fox King by any stretch...I pale in comparison!!
Nice!!! Good job!!!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good season , the raccoons and opossums will make a lot of difference

dfurdennis

Good season , the raccoons and opossums will make a lot of difference
Over the past 3 seasons I would say we have taken out close to 50 each nest predators, and I have already seen more turkey sign trapping this year than thee year I started so I think it's making a difference for sure, deer herd is looking better as well. If I could get the coyote and cat catches up I think it would be a lot better but still learning. Learned some good tricks for next season so thanks for the pointer, always nice to bend some ears on the forum always room for improvement

sportsman94

Over the past 3 seasons I would say we have taken out close to 50 each nest predators, and I have already seen more turkey sign trapping this year than thee year I started so I think it's making a difference for sure, deer herd is looking better as well. If I could get the coyote and cat catches up I think it would be a lot better but still learning. Learned some good tricks for next season so thanks for the pointer, always nice to bend some ears on the forum always room for improvement

You’re probably a lot smarter than me, but it also took me a long time to realize you can’t catch what’s not there. I’d trap one or two farms and wonder why I wasn’t making bigger catches. I wasn’t catching 100% of the animals, but I was taking out a chunk of them and inevitably your catches are gonna drop when you’re hitting them good. I think people think there are a lot higher population densities here than what there actually are. The studies I’ve seen out of the southeast estimate between 2-6 per square mile (after dispersal) if I recall correctly. That’s 640 acres so depending on the piece you’re trapping keep realistic numbers. With that said there are exceptions and some properties are just coyote highways for whatever reason.

Likewise, don’t listen to trappers or what trappers have said to landowners in regards to population. I Set a place 150 acres this year and was told another trapper caught 16 coyotes on his place several years ago. I’ve been trapping the neighboring property for about 11 years and have never caught more than a few coyotes most years, but would wear out foxes. After talking to someone else who knows the trapper and traps in the area we determined that that number given to the landowner was most likely a big fat lie. Trappers are a proud bunch so try to use your own judgment when listening to them talk about things that seem fishy

LONGTOM

Sorry for the hijack but y'all are the people I trust. I want to trap a few raccoons with dps.what do I have to do to be legal? I have a lifetime license .I am not going to sell anything. I will be trapping on club property. I talked to three different people at game and fish and got two and onehalf different answers. Any help would be appreciated.

dfurdennis

Sorry for the hijack but y'all are the people I trust. I want to trap a few raccoons with dps.what do I have to do to be legal? I have a lifetime license .I am not going to sell anything. I will be trapping on club property. I talked to three different people at game and fish and got two and onehalf different answers. Any help would be appreciated.
Is this your personal property you will be trapping on?

canine933

hunt club lease
You will need a regular trapping license to be legal. Print out the commercial license application send it in or if you are close enough to Social Circle you can walk in a buy it that day.
When in doubt call DNR Law Enforcement headquarters in Social Circle. 770-918 6408

Last edited:

furtaker

Figures. The DNR seems to be highly uneducated about GA trapping regulations.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I wish we could use snares in Georgia. The only place we can use them is for beaver and they have to be within 10 feet of water.
Really need to push to change.

Hal Bridges

Back to dfurdennis's post and to add to Sportsman 94, your totals for a small property are fine. I just finished a job in the edge of a town near me. This property is only 214 acres. I took out 26 coons and possums, 1 fox , 1 pitbull (released away from property) and only 3 coyotes. Left sets in place for another week and saw no more tracks. Last year got 7 coyotes from same place. You can't catch what's not there. By the way, 1 female coyote was very pregnant, about to pop any time. She couldn't resist a beaver carcass from another job.
You aren't a rookie anymore, but you will always be learning if you are trapping. It's part of what makes trapping fun and challenging. Like Ray Milligan said a long time ago. You have to convince a wild animal in their home turf to put their foot in a two-inch circle.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
They ain't gonna catch nuffin in your truck or house

dfurdennis

Back to dfurdennis's post and to add to Sportsman 94, your totals for a small property are fine. I just finished a job in the edge of a town near me. This property is only 214 acres. I took out 26 coons and possums, 1 fox , 1 pitbull (released away from property) and only 3 coyotes. Left sets in place for another week and saw no more tracks. Last year got 7 coyotes from same place. You can't catch what's not there. By the way, 1 female coyote was very pregnant, about to pop any time. She couldn't resist a beaver carcass from another job.
You aren't a rookie anymore, but you will always be learning if you are trapping. It's part of what makes trapping fun and challenging. Like Ray Milligan said a long time ago. You have to convince a wild animal in their home turf to put their foot in a two-inch circle.
Appreciate the pointers and the compliment.....it's a confidence builder thanks.