Food for thought

sportsman94

I have trapped for roughly 10 seasons so far after skipping last year. I try to get better at something each season. I have had seasons where I put more effort into beavers, otters, bobcats, coyotes, snaring beavers, exposed pan sets, etc. This year I think I’m trying to improve on learning what the animals are telling me. Some of this is stuff I’ve picked up on in the past, and others are thoughts from this season. I wanted to use this thread to mention some common sense or out of the box thing I have noticed about the animals we pursue and see if yalls experience matches it. Would also love to hear what you’ve picked up on that May or may not be common sense.
1) Coyote and fox seem to move better for me on nights 45 or below. It could just be where I set or my style of trapping, but any time the weather gets cool my confidence goes up. I don’t really much feel like I’m in the game if it’s hotter. Anything above that I count as a coon/possum night.
2) water critters move heavily when it rains. Doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s hot or cold. When it rains the beavers and otters will generally move for me
3) wind is important. This one has a lot more to unpack and I am still learning. The best set in the world only does so much if the wind isn’t in your favor for the predator to see it. I also made an observation today about it that May or may not pan out, but I plan to experiment with. I had a dirt hold dug out from the south side. My trap was on the east side of the hole. Now it seems that we just started getting north winds for the first time since I’ve had traps out in the last few days. I took the wind helping them find the sets into account, but I never thought about how they worked them once they found them. My hypothesis is that they are pretty much only willing to work the set with wind in their face. I’m going to try to test this theory by looking at the weather for the time I’ll be trapping a certain property and setting my traps on the predominant downwind side. This may be common sense to most, but something I just picked up on and look forward to experimenting with.

I will put anything else I can think of in this thread. What are some of the things you’ve picked up on over the years that May or may not be common sense?

sportsman94

One thing I really struggle with (I think) is trap placement. I haven’t seen any pattern to it though to tell me what I should be doing. I probably set 7-10” back on average. Maybe further at times. A buddy of mine has done really well with much closer placement this year. I think I’m going to try to do some closer setting and see if it helps my numbers.

2dye4

I’ll tell you that most of my sets are dirt hole set located on the east or north side of road beds. I’ve caught a few on west/ south sets, but only when the wind is right.
As far as water sets with conibear traps, I usually make a man made pinch point with sticks stuck in the mud.

furtaker

One thing I really struggle with (I think) is trap placement. I haven’t seen any pattern to it though to tell me what I should be doing. I probably set 7-10” back on average. Maybe further at times. A buddy of mine has done really well with much closer placement this year. I think I’m going to try to do some closer setting and see if it helps my numbers.
Every set is different but as a general rule I set my trap as close to the attractant as I can get it. I started doing this a few years ago after watching a professional trapper do it. I have had good success with it. If you try it I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.

Doug B.

I have trapped for roughly 10 seasons so far after skipping last year. I try to get better at something each season. I have had seasons where I put more effort into beavers, otters, bobcats, coyotes, snaring beavers, exposed pan sets, etc. This year I think I’m trying to improve on learning what the animals are telling me. Some of this is stuff I’ve picked up on in the past, and others are thoughts from this season. I wanted to use this thread to mention some common sense or out of the box thing I have noticed about the animals we pursue and see if yalls experience matches it. Would also love to hear what you’ve picked up on that May or may not be common sense.
1) Coyote and fox seem to move better for me on nights 45 or below. It could just be where I set or my style of trapping, but any time the weather gets cool my confidence goes up. I don’t really much feel like I’m in the game if it’s hotter. Anything above that I count as a coon/possum night.
2) water critters move heavily when it rains. Doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s hot or cold. When it rains the beavers and otters will generally move for me
3) wind is important. This one has a lot more to unpack and I am still learning. The best set in the world only does so much if the wind isn’t in your favor for the predator to see it. I also made an observation today about it that May or may not pan out, but I plan to experiment with. I had a dirt hold dug out from the south side. My trap was on the east side of the hole. Now it seems that we just started getting north winds for the first time since I’ve had traps out in the last few days. I took the wind helping them find the sets into account, but I never thought about how they worked them once they found them. My hypothesis is that they are pretty much only willing to work the set with wind in their face. I’m going to try to test this theory by looking at the weather for the time I’ll be trapping a certain property and setting my traps on the predominant downwind side. This may be common sense to most, but something I just picked up on and look forward to experimenting with.

I will put anything else I can think of in this thread. What are some of the things you’ve picked up on over the years that May or may not be common sense?
I agree with all you said here with the exception of water critters moving heavily during rains. I actually don't disagree with that statement either. But I haven't seen that big of a difference between rainy weather and dryer weather.

2dye4

On open creeks this is the way I create pinch points and at the trap right in the V.

Attachments

• CF1172A5-D4D7-4D9C-87BD-D979AC61F764.jpeg
    CF1172A5-D4D7-4D9C-87BD-D979AC61F764.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 4

Doug B.

Every set is different but as a general rule I set my trap as close to the attractant as I can get it. I started doing this a few years ago after watching a professional trapper do it. I have had good success with it. If you try it I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.
Same here. I would rather it be closer than farther in most cases.

Doug B.

I'd rather miss one that wasn't committed than miss one that was right at the hole.

If you watch your dog sniffing something in the yard, a lot of times his foot is almost right under his nose.
Even a large dog has its feet close under its nose. I have good luck with bobcats like this as well.

sportsman94

Thanks for sharing! I will be trying this as soon as I put more traps out. Do you generally offset at all or put it straight on?

Doug B.

Dead center and right on the hole.
I do offset mine slightly. I think if you have something to keep him at the hole, his dancing feet will step on the pan whether it is offset or not. But like furtaker mentioned earlier, if you watch your dog you will see that his foot is directly under his nose when he is sniffing something comparable to a dirt hole. A canine is a canine.

furtaker

I do offset mine slightly. I think if you have something to keep him at the hole, his dancing feet will step on the pan whether it is offset or not. But like furtaker mentioned earlier, if you watch your dog you will see that his foot is directly under his nose when he is sniffing something comparable to a dirt hole. A canine is a canine.
Yep. If he's committed he'll be moving his feet all around. And who knows how they approach the set. From the sides or behind or wherever.

I caught one a couple years ago that was obviouly behind my set and stepped over my backing and right into my trap in front of the hole. I could tell by the direction his foot was facing in the trap.

Doug B.

Yep. If he's committed he'll be moving his feet all around. And who knows how they approach the set. From the sides or behind or wherever.

I caught one a couple years ago that was obviouly behind my set and stepped over my backing and right into my trap in front of the hole. I could tell by the direction his foot was facing in the trap.
The only guarantee is......there's no guarantee!