Sept. deer hunting...what is the plan

jeshoffstall

Ok, I fess up. I have never had much luck hunting deer until the temps drop and the leaves start to fall. I have to think that my stand selections for bowhunting are leaving alot to be desired.

Suppose you are walking into a new lease next month (I am) that has some hardwood draws, power lines, gas lines and more pines that you can shake a stick at. What would you be looking for to narrow your scouting focus? Ridges? Creek bottoms? Pine thickets? I know this questions is wide open - just looking for how to figure out what these critters are doing in September.

Thanks!

kevincox

Its all about food and water in early season. Find both in the same location and your on to something

P

potsticker

Kevin is right on, but the food source must be very near to cover or bedding areas. I never was mutch on beeding areas, when a deer wants to rest it just plops down. I dont think a deer beds in the same bed. they will use the same areas. Thick, i mean stuff a snake would need help in is the kind of stuff im talking about. If you find a food source nearby you may have a chonce to score!

hambone44

shady low inside corner of a food source (small field or plot), if not, well worn creek crossings

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I vote for the creek crossings.

stev

Banned
water water water
And hope there aint to many acorns so they have to move.

bowbuck

I look for food sources here in the mts.

For years I would hardly see a deer in bowseason b/c I was hunting the same places I saw them in Nov (open ridges where they chase). The last several years I look for an isolated food source. Be it one white oak with all the acorns, a persimmon that is loaded or an out of the way food plot. I only hunt them with a good wind that lets me get in and out without spooking them. I don't have lots of planted pines but down south I think if you found the same kinds of food sources right on the edge of those pines you would be in buisness. My last ace in the hole is a mudhole from some mudbogging trespassers. IF we have a little rain earlier in the summer. It holds water for a long time and it's on top of a ridge 1/2 mile from any other water source. Just my nickel.

tail_slider3d

FOOD

Dont make the same mistake I did for years and hunt directly over it. This time of year they are in there most of the time before daylight and dont arrive until the last 5 minutes of shooting light. You best bet is to catch the coming or going. You may be successful in killing deer directly over the food source and you might even kill a big buck but you improve your odds by hunting smarter. The first time you spook them out your odds of seeing them in the daytime there go down expodentially (sp ??)

GobbleAndGrunt78

I hunt water sources that have food also. I saw a ton of deer last bow season during the broad daylight. I had a big cowhorn spike come 5yds in front of my stand right after I hoisted my bow up after climbing. I didn't have on my release, mask, or gloves yet and the hoist rope was still attatched to my bow. I could do nothing! :banginghe I learned to get out there earlier, and saw even MORE deer. Unfortunately I stuck 2 deer (one of them twice!) last bow season, but never recovered either :cry: Maybe my luck will change.....

Hunter922

Food / Water is a great combination. Not many have it.I know I don't. The bedding , food and thick stuff I have. Depends but on new property look for a pinch point or good crossing going to food or water. You should be in the chips for Does and hey Bucks need food and water too..
Good Luck..

wack em

Id spend the afternoons of the next few weeks watching the powerlines, trying to pattern a bachelor group. I usually dont concentrate heavily on acorns until October. Grapes are usually my best bet in sept.

Webbslinger

Food - soft mast (Persimmons are #1 in Sep/early OCT, also grapes, & Muscadines notice these are all sweets). look for standing water (your creek areas) which may even have persimmon trees nearby and you will have a great time outdoors. :smash:

You mentioned new lease - try driving your roads looking to where 2 types of trees/woodlines meet (like pines and hardwoods) this change is crucial in the deer woods in most instances and has more times than not offered me sightings and harvest of wall hangers cruising from one to the other. :banana::banana:::cool:

Soybean

Food - soft mast (Persimmons are #1 in Sep/early OCT, also grapes, & Muscadines notice these are all sweets). look for standing water (your creek areas) which may even have persimmon trees nearby and you will have a great time outdoors. :smash:

You mentioned new lease - try driving your roads looking to where 2 types of trees/woodlines meet (like pines and hardwoods) this change is crucial in the deer woods in most instances and has more times than not offered me sightings and harvest of wall hangers cruising from one to the other. :banana::banana:::cool:

i agree on the tree/woodlines change. my bow season spot is a hardwood hollow with field on one side and 20 yr old pines behind me. in the evenings the deer pour out of the pines right into the hardwoods to piddle around until dark, once it gets dark they hit the field. its like clock work.

as for your new property, i agree with the rest, food and water.

7Mag Hunter

Have a little spot I have not hunted in 10yrs I will try....
Very shady Hardwood ridge that runs downhill to a
swamp and creek botton....
Will use ground blind made from burlap, and a small stool...

dslary

Quite a few years back, creek crossings were my focus. I'd travel a long ways along a creek to find that well worn crossing. Then one day, I was sitting about 50 yds off a crossing when 8 does came over the hill. They went about 60 yards up the creek and jumped across a 15' wide spot as though it was a walk in the park. Yes, they do use the crossings but I think they use it more at night when they can't see as well.